PDA

View Full Version : login with GUI/Command Line

wilsondk
02-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Everything was working fine after installing Knoppix (debian now) onto a partition until I clicked one little selection. At the GUI login it asked me if I wanted the gui login or Command line and I thought the gui waste of resources could be saved with a prompt, but now I can't get back to the gui. I can't start up x windows debian anything. How do I get it back? I've been trying to sift through script after script thinking if I found the line that said GUI="no" or something I could change it back. Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help. I'm not afraid of the propt, but I would like to not be limited to it.

windos_no_thanks
02-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help

startx

Stephen
02-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Everything was working fine after installing Knoppix (debian now) onto a partition until I clicked one little selection. At the GUI login it asked me if I wanted the gui login or Command line and I thought the gui waste of resources could be saved with a prompt, but now I can't get back to the gui. I can't start up x windows debian anything. How do I get it back? I've been trying to sift through script after script thinking if I found the line that said GUI="no" or something I could change it back. Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help. I'm not afraid of the propt, but I would like to not be limited to it.

If you want a new login then as root at the console /etc/init.d/kdm restart will get you back to the display manager if it is not already running if not then loging out of the console and wait a few seconds and you should get the login. If you mean that when you installed that you said no to starting the kde display manager on boot then try dpkg-reconfigure kdm as root I believe there is an option in there to tell it to do so.