PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem - Changed my resolution to unsupported

ExtremeHobo
02-19-2004, 07:04 AM
I have been getting frustrated with the standard 640 *480 so I decided to change my resolution to 1024*768 because everytime i reboot after changing to 800*600 the settings to not change. Once I rebooted i see all the startup dialog but when it goes to load the GUI I get no signal to my monitor and it goes to power save. Please help!

Im running Knoppix 3.3 on a hd install.

Howard
02-19-2004, 10:03 AM
I've done EXACTLY the same thing, I'll wait and see if you get any helpful replies before I trash the whole install and start again.

BTW. I discovered if I switch to another input screen (Ctrl + Alt + F1(F2...F6)) I can login as root and reboot, so I don't have to crash the system.

"H"

P.S. I've resolved the problem.
There is a backup copy of the XF86Config-4 file made when you reconfigured, if you copy it back to it's original filename, you go back to where you were.

cd /etc/X11
ls XF86*

the above shows you the relevant files

zanoman
02-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Finally I worked it out with your help !

I've tried so many configs and changed settings, I didn't have a fresh goodcopy of XF86Config

If you're in the same s... try :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new

I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.

Now, to finish :
with "mc" (midnight commander : very very usefull) I deleted XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.in, XF86Config, XF86Config-4.backup, XF86Config-4.new in /etc/X11 (I tried to keep some but it didn't worked), copied XF86Config.new from /root to /etc/X11 and renamed it to XF86Config-4 and launched "kdm"

And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)

Yahoooooooo (2)

Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)