PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix a base for perfect Newbie Linux ?!

MichielioZ
02-17-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm quite busy trying to remaster Knoppix into the (in my opinion) perfect Linux distribution for Newbies...
According to me, this distribution should at least include the following 7 points :
1) An interactive installation; Graphical installation that asks if the detected hardware is correct and allows you to change it.
(As easy to use as Mandrake installation)
2) An apt-get or Portage/Emerge system to update/install packages.
3) Choose either KDE or Gnome at installation, install only 1 and install only 1 or 2 lightweight GUI.
4) Of all the packages that are available, default installation would only give you 2 packages of all the different forms of software. After installation it can give you the option to install other packages.
5) The K-menu or Gnome-menu needs some very heavy restructuring;
A newbie can't really make out which program is which right now...
6) It all has to fit onto 1 CD (650mb to be really nice to people).
7) CD has to have "LIVE" usage option like Knoppix.

Of course, I can't get this all working on my own, but as Knoppix isn't that far (thnx to all the modifications allready at hand posted by users here) from being "perfect", I hope some of this will inspire some people to develop some of the features mentioned above...

Thanking all you people in advance for your input :D

A. Jorge Garcia
02-17-2003, 03:45 PM
I don't think a true nOOb would want all these installation options. Just give them one desktop and one of each app and restructure the K menus to match.

Are you talking about a hdd install or a live CD? Why not just make 3 flavors of CD: one with KDE and x + k apps, one with Gnome and x + g apps and another with icewm or twm and x apps.

senorian
02-17-2003, 03:50 PM
As a complete computer newbie(i.e everything computerish) who has been trying to install some version of Linux , off and on, for over a year I feel that I qualify as the "prototype user!"
I cannot understand the instructions that come with the various, included, partitioning tools. So far the easiest to understand instructions are in Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux VISUALLY". This has about 17 screenshots, along with explanations. This is not perfect and there are a few unclear areas.
(You can perhaps see how wonderfully happy I am with Knoppix.It works!)
Now my goal is to get it installed to the hd.
I really hope that your project succeeds.

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Couldn't agree more, this is exactly the way morphix is going (multiple GUI's, easy installing, one app for one goal, bladiebla). So, even though most of you will probably already know it and shake their heads at my plugging ;)

www.morphix.org & ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/drupal/Morphix
Or check the customizing forum for more details :D

nuf said, i'll shut up now ;)