PDA

View Full Version : Network driver problem

manolo
02-17-2003, 05:38 PM
I have an Asus A7V8X mainboard and recently installed Knoppix to my HD. It works, the only problem is that I have to compile the driver for the network card (Broadcom BCM4400 series 10/100 Mbps) and when I do it following the source tar.gz readme procedure I get the following message in the console (logged as root):

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DDBG=0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -c -o b44um.o b44um.c
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DDBG=0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -c -o b44proc.o b44proc.c
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DDBG=0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -c -o b44lm.o b44lm.c
ld -i b44um.o b44proc.o b44lm.o -o bcm4400.o
ld: no se puede abrir b44um.o: No existe el fichero o el directorio
make: *** [bcm4400.o] Error 1

Last lines translated into english:
ld: canīt open b44um.o: File or directory donīt exist
make:*........Error 1

I have no experience with Linux, and searching for help in Welsh and Kaufman's "Running Linux" didnīt help me. Any idea? Thank you.

RockMumbles
02-19-2003, 05:51 AM
Are you running from CD or a HD install?

rock

manolo
02-19-2003, 11:01 AM
As I said in my first post, I have Knoppix installed in my HD. A question: Is there any difference in the terminal commands between different Linux distributions? Perhaps the makefile is trying to use a command that Knoppix-Debian donīt recognize. If I understand the console message that I posted, gcc compiles .c files and outputs .o files and it looks that there is no problem. But after, the "ld" (load?) command canīt find the files precompiled. Is this correct? Thank you.