PDA

View Full Version : The story so far.........

Tealc
02-17-2003, 06:13 PM
:?: I downloaded the latest KnoppixKDE today, burnt it out and after creating a LinuxSwap and LinuxExt2 paritions I booted from the CD.
At boot prompt I typed in "knoppix lang=en mount /floppy". Looking good so far. I made a new Directory/folder on the desktop called "new". I then inserted my floppy with the latest knx-hdinstall on it "knx-hdinstall-0.38". I then unpacked into "new." I opened a LinuxConsole, logged in as sudo su and navigated to "new" where I exe "./knx-hdinstall". Got a few boxes popping up asking about partitions and pointed it to the ones I had already formatted.For some reason I didn't get any option to open cfisk but things proceeded correctly. During this part there were some error comments in the console stating that certain paths couldn't be found or they didn't exist but things seemd OK. One odd comment was "./knx-hdinstall: line 364:xterm command not found" line364 is "xterm -fn 10x20 -e cfdisk /dev/$HDCHOICE" not that means anything to me as I am quite new to Linux. The remaining hdinstall seedmed to go ok but when I finally booted again the process stalled at "Can't" find ...etc.

OK I had read here somewhere that copying the Knoppix Cd to the HDD and making a Boot Diskette made things run smoother, so I did all this and when I booted from the Diskette Knoppix loaded from HHD copy (very quickly this time) found the Knoppix file and I proceeded as usual. I still got the line364 error and now the whole process stalls with the "copying files box open", the first time I tried it stalled at 1% and the last time at 6%.

Well I think that I am learning a lot each time I try :lol: but I would like to be able to actually install Knoppix on my HDD because it is a fantastic OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lando
02-19-2003, 05:00 AM
I just installed it to my hd about an hour ago. Don't bother with creating a directory, putting knx-hdinstall on a floppy, or even making your partitions with fdisk (if you want to use cfdisk instead).

Just open the console, sudo su, run fdisk if you want to use that to make your partitions, and then run knx-hdinstall right from the cd.

Edit: for the total newbies who don't know this, you'll also have to make the filesystem on each partition. Here's a good howto on patitioning and file system creation: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3174/1/

Tealc
02-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Lando, I have done that with pretty much the same result. Maybe the final KDE 3.1 version from this website will be easier.