PDA

View Full Version : can't boot into linux. not through floppy, not from hd

laat
02-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I have installed knoppix to my first harddrive next to Windows XP but I can't boot to it. I chose not to write LILO to the MBR, because I prefer the NTLDR. For this reason I created, when the option was given during installation, a boot floppy to boot into GNU/Linux the first time and let the script write the boot-files to my linux root partition.

When, in LILO (on the floppy), I choose Linux, I got the following message: ERROR 0x01. Since the floppy failed to boot into Linux, I tried the method which I found here on this forum using the KNOPPIX-CD and the pivot_root command:

knoppix single
sudo su
mkdir /mnt/new_root
mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/new_root
mkdir /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root
cd /mnt/new_root
pivot_root . /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root

init 5

this works... From whithin Linux running on my harddisk I copied my first 512 bytes of the root to a file (dd if= and so on..), which I placed in C:\, using my FAT32 partition as "exchange"partition, and edited my boot.ini. When I chose GNU/Linux out of the list which appeared at startup I only saw the letter "L" (Probably the first letter of what should become LILO), and the system hung.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it my partition table or even my hardware?

IDE0 Master
hda1 NTFS Primary Active 30GB Windows XP
hda2 NTFS Primary 120GB DATA
Extended
hda5 Ext3 (root) Logical Bootable 4GB Linux
(I've added the bootable flag later to see if this was the problem)
hda6 Ext2 Logical 1GB
(I wan't this to become /home after I have solved this issue)

IDE1 Master
hdc1 NTFS Primary 1,5GB Windows SWAP
Extended
hdc5 FAT32 Logical 35GB Data
hdc6 Linux Swap Logical 750MB

/etc/lilo.conf is as follows:
vga=791
lba32
boot=/dev/hda5
root=/dev/hda5
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map

delay=20
prompt
timeout=150

append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD
read-only
optional

other=/dev/hdc1
label="WinNT(hdc1)"

other=/dev/hdc5
label="Windows(hdc5)"

other=/dev/hda1
label="WinNT(hda1)"

other=/dev/hda2
label="WinNT(hda2)"

I really hope someone could help me, because I really would like to see this nice list at startup, just being able to pick and run!

Greetings!

laat
02-22-2004, 04:32 AM
After googeling the error messages (0x01 and only the letter " L" appearing) I found out it is a hardware-issue. It could indicate a malfunctioning HD or a BIOS not supporting the HD. I've updated my bios and booting now works!

Thanx for reading this!