PDA

View Full Version : First time in Linux and Woooooow!!

nazimm
02-17-2003, 07:34 PM
A friend at work, a techy, gave me a copy of Knoppix after I spent 3 hours telling him my problems with Windows (to cut a long story short, all Hds were messed up, kept rebooting and lost evrything...lovely!).

Changed the Bios to boot from CD and stuffed Knoppix and all I can say is WOOOW!!! I really am impressed, detected evrything, mostly anyway, and most of all my Cable connection to the internet, via router!!! Nothing to set up, all looking good, screen, etc..

Just wanted to say Bravo to the developer(s)

Now back to trying to sort out that printing problems....so you may see me in the forum, soooon

Ta
nazim

aay
02-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Glad you have found Knoppix helpful. Even if Knoppix is only used as a repair disk to fix Windows, it proves itself to be a powerful tool.

zzyzx
02-18-2003, 09:16 PM
KDE has a printing manager (cups frontend). Hit K -> Control Center -> system -> Printing Manager -> Add new Printer.

Printing is much better under kde, print 4 pages on a sheet, print to .pdf, ...

Worked for me.

Nick
02-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Speaking as long term IT Guy, it is more than wooooooooow.

This product is unblievable and unbuggerupable to users. :D

Knoppix is the way to go to run a Company business with a fileserver/whatever on the network but with no overheads in man power on the workstations.

Thank you all involved.

Nick

abfab
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
As a first time Linux-user I installed Knoppix next to my 98SE and XP PRO.

Awesome... And the support is great!! Never did I find such a lot of people helping!!

Things that come to my mind as I write this:

At home Knoppix is my first choice. I only boot to XP if it's really the only option.

I wonder if it is possible to run it at work, where we use a novell network.
Will it be possible to use all the ' windows' applications???
I'm dreaming about a Knoppix thin client solution...... and me getting it to work...

I'm also new to formums... so... sorry if I posted it in a wrong place...

Thank you all for making me happy with Knoppix!!

robelanator
02-24-2003, 09:16 PM
I wonder if it is possible to run it at work, where we use a novell network.
Will it be possible to use all the ' windows' applications???

The answer is maybe...

Knoppix comes preconfigured to use a software program called Wine to run Windows executables. Try booting from the Knoppix CD and then running some of the Windows programs on your hard drive to see if they'll work.

I've found that Wine works great with programs designed for Windows95/98 but isn't so hot with Windows2000/XP.

Good luck!

Thomas Bell
03-06-2003, 07:18 AM
yes i've tried knoppix at work. It's a big corporation and after thinking for a while, could be a big security threat to anyplace, but i think it goes bothways all the time learning to patch some threat. anyway, it was connected to the internet at work fine, i can never get a debian distrub to work with my cable, mandrake detects it auto, i keep trying to read lots of info to make sure when i try to install onto this laptop it'll work. does work great off cd :)