PDA

View Full Version : problem with cd drives after using knoppix once...

Hp Xtreme
02-22-2004, 01:09 AM
my friend introduced to me to knoppix, and i was happy to use it. but after my first use, something went wrong. after I restarted the computer, going back to windows xp, my cd and dvd drives have gone away. I dont know if they have been erased from the computer, but they are not appearing on the folder of "my computer" what happened? :shock:

patelbhavesh
02-22-2004, 07:36 PM
These kinds of hardware problems have been many times associated with faulty BIOSes.
I have had similar problems with my network card.
The only workable solution which I have found for this is disconnecting the power supply to the computer for about a minute and starting the computer again.
Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software , Free Speech , Free Society
http://bhavesh.freeshell.org

Hp Xtreme
02-22-2004, 08:41 PM
hey bavesh, my name is hemal.
i tried unplugging the wire, but it still wont show.

patelbhavesh
02-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Then something else might be going on here . You might want to check out whether the cd/dvd drive is connected properly.

gowator
02-25-2004, 11:51 AM
You haven't posted your hardware ???

My guess is you have some fancy hardware which interacts with the bios and looses its settings IF its not reassured by the OS... this is kinda a new 'trick' where MS are building in dependancies.

If it were happening to me I'd look in the BIOS and see if there is something about controlling the IDE controllers Through XP....