PDA

View Full Version : Login Problems (GUI)?

bendman
02-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey, I installed KNOPPIX to the hd, but now I can't login to the gui. I reboot, get a GUI with a dabien background asking me for a username and password, and give it, but when I hit go my monitor just flickers a few times and sends me back to the login screen. I tried rebooting under a command line, and logged in as root and then typed in startX, and it just flickered a few times and went back to the command line. Do you know how I can get into the account's GUI?

btw, when I try to start it by typing startkde in the command line it just says X server error indefinately

dewd
02-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I am not an expert, but two things come to my mind:

1) choose the desktop environment no the combobox. the first time that I logged into debian I had to do that.

2) if (1) doesn't work, I fear it could be a videocard problem. the best way to avoid it is to configure everthing as right as possible on de LiveCD before you attempt the HD install.

spurious
02-22-2004, 07:16 PM
The xserver is broken with the 2004-02-09 hard-drive install. There is a new version out: 2004-02-16 that fixes the bug; see the News section.

Actually, you would probably be better off installing an older version. Some posts are appearing that suggest the 2004-02-16 knoppix-installer script is broken.

Durand Hicks
02-22-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm already using the 2/9/2004 version installed on my hd. I had the same problem as well, and somehow remembered to switch to the kde3 login and it let me through. Upon subsequent reboots, i noted in dmesg that the xdm wouldn't load because it wasn't the default. Fixed that by editing the xdm script file in /etc/init.d. Look for a line that says "HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true" and change it to false. Reboot and it should work ok.

johnb
02-23-2004, 12:20 AM
I had a similar problem it turned out to be a wrong choice on video display cheat codes. At login the Debian screen would vanish then come back like I had not tried to login. If you can get a gui using something other than the default kdm I would say its graphics/cheat code related. Try one of the other lite gui's out there. The login screen has a drop down box of gui choices.
johnb

Stephen
02-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey, I installed KNOPPIX to the hd, but now I can't login to the gui. I reboot, get a GUI with a dabien background asking me for a username and password, and give it, but when I hit go my monitor just flickers a few times and sends me back to the login screen. I tried rebooting under a command line, and logged in as root and then typed in startX, and it just flickered a few times and went back to the command line. Do you know how I can get into the account's GUI?

btw, when I try to start it by typing startkde in the command line it just says X server error indefinately

Try editing the file /home/your_user_name/.wmrc and adding kde3 then save and exit and try to login now.

r0bertstevenfish
03-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I recently saw your message and it is exactly what happened to me too.

Installed to HD correctly, and when the KDE login screen comes up, I login, but it makes a loop and comes right back to the logon.

Then I tried changing the logon type from DEFAULT to KDE3 I believe... and believe it or not... it worked perfectly!

Now if I could just get the RealTek 8100B onboard eth0 to load, I would be in business. It seems to choke on loading full duplex mode, and cannot then receive a DHCP signal from the router.