PDA

View Full Version : Network sharing

piet
02-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Hi @ all :D

I am a newbie on linux (3 Days) and I have a lot of problems, but I think everyone has problems in begining.
But I work harder to become better.

For 3 days now I am searching for a solution. :evil: Google is my best Friend, but I found nothing that could help me.

My problem is that I have no connections from linux to my windows PCīs.
All PCīs are connected over a Router ( 192.168.1.1)
Internet works fine.
Ping works also in both directions.

DHCP Broadcast: No
IP for eth0: 192.168.1.35
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast 192.168.1.255
Default-Gateway 192.168.1.1
Nameserver 192.168.1.1

I think that I have to change Samba.conf
I tried this tutorial but it doesnīt work. http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

cd/etc/samba
bash: File not found

ok I tried it without cd
/etc/samba
bash: is a dirctory

cp smb.conf smb1.conf
cp: no stat: File not found
:evil: :evil: :evil: :?:

I wolud be nice to have Knoppix Linux as a fileserver, but how?

Knoppix runs from cd and I suppose that it must work as Fileserver also from cd or is it necessary that I have to install it on HD with knx-hdinstall skript?
I read on google that there is a webfrontent swat but I didnīt find it on Knoppix linux. Is there anybody who can help me with this problem?
(The answer can also be in German, or dutch.)

Thanks a lot to all

Best regards Piet

George Wiedmann
02-18-2003, 07:22 AM
You might try LinNeighborhood, it is a port of network neighborhood. It will give you a gui for samba that lets you set up file and printer sharing. It might not be exactly what you want but it is a start. Just apt-get it

jaconitroso
02-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Hi there ...

Ok When you were installing Knoppix to your HD, after it copied the files to your HD, it started to Ask you questions so it could configurate your box correctly; some of these questions where as follows:

Start a Mail Server (smail) at boot? (y or N) (No)
Start sshd at boot? (y or N) (Yes)
Start Samba at boot? (y or n) (Yes)
Start KDE at boot? (y or n) (Yes)

Ok the thing is if you answered "NO" to the Samba question
samba is not starting at boot and no communication can ocurre. the other thing is Knoppix already bring a utility called XSMBrowser which in it's onw way is somelike MSN NetworkNeighborhood. I hope this helps....

David Douthitt
02-18-2003, 10:04 PM
I am a newbie on linux (3 Days) and I have a lot of problems, but I think everyone has problems in begining. But I [will] work harder to become better.

cd/etc/samba
bash: File not found

Problem 1: put a space after every command and every argument in UNIX. DOS doesn't care; UNIX does...

ok I tried it without cd
/etc/samba
bash: is a dirctory

Problem 2: You can't "execute" a directory.

cp smb.conf smb1.conf
cp: no stat: File not found

Problem 3: smb.conf is missing; if you couldn't cd to the directory, then that's why.

There are a lot of good introductory books to Linux and UNIX; I would recommend a book called "Running Linux" from O'Reilly and Associates.

qsecopr
03-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Just try smbmount this should work fine