PDA

View Full Version : WiFi which cards work best with Knoppix Live CD?

Kumagoro
02-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Finding out that my D-Link 650+ PCI wont work with knoppix has
fecked me right off. Rather than mess around with hacked drivers i think
it will be quicker and easier to buy a new wifi adapter.

SO please, for my benifit and the many others out there can you tell us
what card you have.

The only cards i want to hear about are ones which work straight out of
the box and need no messing about with (if they exist) which will work
with the Knoppix Live CD 3.3 or lower. Using AIRSNORT and KISMET

If you could please give as much info as poss that would be great.
Company - Chipset - roughly when you bought it, from which country
and if its PCI, USB or PCMCIA.

Also if you know any info about which particular cards work and dont work
would be nice.

As someone else said the linksys WMP11 works great but I read that
the newer ones use the Broadcom chipset which are not supported maybe
what was the previous chipset for it?

GainesTR
02-23-2004, 12:33 AM
I have the same card as you and it only took me 5 minutes to get my card to work. Before I give you instructions, I need to know if you have a HD install or if you are running Knoppix from CD?

iang
02-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I have a D-Link 520+ wireless card which isn't recognised by 3.3 installed from CD (no HDD install).

I'm trying to connect to the internet either via an ADSL USB modem (BT Voyager 100), or the D-Link wireless PCI card & can't get either to work!

I've been told both are possible, but haven't been able to figure it out - but only about 3 days of Linux experience!

Kumagoro
02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
I wanted something that would work with the live CD but Im willing to
do a HD install if patching it isnt too difficult. Im a linux newbie so its
still hard tyring to do simple things.

So GainesTR I would be grateful if you could let me know what I need to
do.

is it the same as http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php#app_b

Appendix B: Using the Open Source Acx100 Driver with the Knoppix 3.3 Live CD

I havent tried this yet but im going to try.

It would still be nice to know about specific cards which work esp if any
54G cards i want to get a pcmcia card for wardriving

GainesTR
02-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Kumagoro,

Here are the instructions that I have for getting the D-link 650+ network card.

I only know how to do this with a HD install. I'm sure that if you change some settings in the make file, you could probably get this to work but if your not going to do a hard drive install, you would have to repeat these steps every time your rebooted your pc. You should really consider doing a HD install.

Knoppix's ability to run from CD will probably get more people to play with Linux than otherwise would. Knoppix's true flexibility only comes when it is installed on your Hard Drive. My Laptop and my home PC are both run Knoppix and WinXP.

OK, now for the instructions: :shock:

go to http://rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de/~andi/acx100/ and download the file acx100-0.2.0pre7_plus_fixes_3.tar.gz

From there you will open a command line, gunzip the file, move the *.tar file into your /usr directory(I just opened the gz file using Konqueror and copied the entire Directory into the /usr directory). Follow the steps in the README file to install.

The README file basicly tells you to download the drivers from D-links website:ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl520+/Driver/dwl520+_drivers_307.zip, then copy three files(WLANGEN.BIN, RADIO0d.BIN and RADIO11.BIN) from the win2000 directory into your firmware directory that was just created. /usr/acx100-0.2.0pre7_plus_fixes_3/firmware. Open a command line and go into the /usr/acx100-0.2.0pre7_plus_fixes_3/ directory and type make.

Done :!:

There is a scripts directory( /usr/acx100-0.2.0pre7_plus_fixes_3/scripts) that has a start script. Run that and if you have DHCP it should put you on the net, if not then you will have to run the network card configuration utility. I ran the ethernet utility and it asked me if I wanted to use eth0 or wlan. Type in your setting if you don't have DHCP and you will be surfing in no time.

Thats all there is to it. And who says that Linux is hard?

Good Luck! :D

Kumagoro
02-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Cheers Gaines,

I have been able to get it working now but still have a couple of probs
Right now i cannot connect to the network as my bro wont give me the
wep key the bugger. So i wanted to use kismet and airsnort so try and
get it.

Kismet seems to work ok, but air snort doesnt it always says monitor
mode when trying to scan.

If you could do me a favour and try out airsnort on yours and see if
you can scan.

It would be much apperciated.

Thanks

GainesTR
03-01-2004, 04:48 AM
I am able to get airsnort to work only by selecting OTHER for Card type and by manually selecting the channel. I haven't ever played with Airsnort before so I don't have any other suggestions for it. If you figure it all out, leave a post so we can all learn from it.
:wink: