PDA

View Full Version : Lost Contact with Monitor, Mouse, and Keyboard

hamscs
12-10-2002, 04:14 PM
I've tried this three times on three Dell Optiplex GX260s. I've booted Knoppix off the latest CD, and everything's worked fine. But when I restart, each computer can no longer recognize the monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and nothing appears to be happening either on the HDD, FDD, or CD-ROM. Anyone else experience anything similar?

It's quite disappointing to run Knoppix and then have three broken machines on my hands.

Thanks!

Dave_Bechtel
12-11-2002, 04:32 AM
--I don't know *why* this is happening (please post system specs, i.e. RAM, processor, installed hardware) but here's a possible workaround:

--Try ' halt ' as root when ready to shutdown. If the PC doesn't actually shut off after ward, hit the Hardware Reset button and see if that fixes it. If it shuts off, I would think that would solve the problem.

I've tried this three times on three Dell Optiplex GX260s. I've booted Knoppix off the latest CD, and everything's worked fine. But when I restart, each computer can no longer recognize the monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and nothing appears to be happening either on the HDD, FDD, or CD-ROM. Anyone else experience anything similar?

It's quite disappointing to run Knoppix and then have three broken machines on my hands.

Thanks!

hamscs
12-20-2002, 02:44 PM
The machines I'm installing Knoppix on are:

- Dell Optiplex GX260s.
- P4 1.8 GHz, 256 MB RAM.
- Windows XP Pro, Version 2002.

I'm going to download another copy of Knoppix and then try again on one more machine.

Thanks.