PDA

View Full Version : CD fails to boot

robbyappleton
02-24-2004, 08:51 AM
I could be totally missing something obvious, but I've burned two cd's, and I can't get a computer to boot from either of them. I've changed the BIOS settings on each computer to boot from CD first, before floppy and HD. When I put a disk in the computer, I don't get Windows OR Knoppix, I just get a black screen with a white line in the top left corner (like a DOS command prompt, but just that one little underscore).
Anyway, if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

windos_no_thanks
02-24-2004, 10:39 AM
If you boot windows from the HD like before and then load the CD and look at it's contents what do you see ?

millennia
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
I get the boot where when it tells me

"boot failed insert system disk"

or something to that effect.....
Please help

windos_no_thanks
02-24-2004, 06:29 PM
I get the boot where when it tells me

"boot failed insert system disk"

or something to that effect.....
Please help
Are you trying to boot from the CD ? Did you burn it yourself ? If so just do what I suggested in my previous post so we can find out if it has been burned the right way.

robbyappleton
02-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I get two BIN files, one is BOOTCAT, the other is BOOTIMG.

windos_no_thanks
02-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I get two BIN files, one is BOOTCAT, the other is BOOTIMG.
Huh ?
At least you don't have a CD with just one big *.iso file which seems to be a common mistake.
What you should see is:

Demos KNOPPIX Talks autorun.bat autorun.inf cdrom.ico index.html

Of those Demos, KNOPPIX and Talks are directories (folders).
The KNOPPIX directory should contain this:

KNOPPIX KNOPPIX-FAQ.txt images index_it.html knoppix-header.gif web-background.gif
KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt LICENSE.txt index.html index_jp.html links.html
KNOPPIX-FAQ-ES.txt README_Security.txt index_dk.html index_nl.html md5sums
KNOPPIX-FAQ-FR.txt background.jpg index_en.html index_ru.html mkfloppy.bat
KNOPPIX-FAQ-IT.txt boot.cat index_es.html knoblind.bat rawrite2-readme.txt
KNOPPIX-FAQ-NL.txt boot.img index_fr.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt rawrite2.exe

Have you checked the md5sum of the *.iso file before burning it ?

Markus
02-24-2004, 09:51 PM
A .bin file is just another image file like .iso
I thought Knoppix comes as isos, but try burning the image to a cd and see what happens.
If you're using Nero close the wizards and choose File -> Burn Image
Then select the 700 Mb .bin file and burn it.

windos_no_thanks
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
A .bin file is just another image file like .iso
I thought Knoppix comes as isos, but try burning the image to a cd and see what happens.

Umm, I think in this case those refer to the boot.cat and boot.img files in the KNOPPIX directory..

Markus
02-24-2004, 10:02 PM
And some more sloppy reading by me :D

millennia
02-24-2004, 11:32 PM
windos_no_thanks wrote
Are you trying to boot from the CD ? Did you burn it yourself ? If so just do what I suggested in my previous post so we can find out if it has been burned the right way.

Yes I'm trying to boot fro the CD. I did burn it myself . Yes it has all the files in it. When I boot it will boot me up, give me the knoppix logo and ask for which boot options. (It gives me the command prompt boot:)
I tryied alot of differnt options but none seem to work.
I have downloaded PHLAK and I use fbdev module on that,
but on Knoppix it doesnt work.

fourtrackmind
02-24-2004, 11:42 PM
If I just hit enter at the boot: prompt, it booted fine, my first times around the live CD.

Did you try just typing "knoppix" (no quotes)?

Hope this helps

millennia
02-24-2004, 11:47 PM
fourtrackmind

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:42 pm
If I just hit enter at the boot: prompt, it booted fine, my first times around the live CD.

Hope this helps

I dont know if you talking to me but I tried that.

fourtrackmind
02-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes, I was talking to you! :D

I saved my preferences on a floppy and I need to boot as

knoppix floppyconfig

So, maybe just knoppix might work. Just enter worked my first few times, until I saved my preferences to a floppy.

I tried to help, anyway...... :lol:

pvalley
02-25-2004, 03:01 AM
when you burned your disk A:what program did you use? b: did you goto something like "burn iso image"? and then burn the cd C: are the cd's your using 700mg?

millennia
02-25-2004, 04:08 AM
pvalley
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:01 am

when you burned your disk A:what program did you use? b: did you goto something like "burn iso image"? and then burn the cd C: are the cd's your using 700mg?

A: I used Easy CD creator

B: I just double clicked the ISO file. It automatically brought up Easy CD creator, then all I had to do is click "start recording".

C: Yes teh CD's are 700MB

windos_no_thanks
02-25-2004, 08:11 AM
windos_no_thanks wrote

Yes I'm trying to boot fro the CD. I did burn it myself . Yes it has all the files in it. When I boot it will boot me up, give me the knoppix logo and ask for which boot options. (It gives me the command prompt boot:)
I tryied alot of differnt options but none seem to work.
I have downloaded PHLAK and I use fbdev module on that,
but on Knoppix it doesnt work.
Ok, the next step would be to verify the CD, type "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt.

millennia
02-26-2004, 04:18 AM
windos_no_thanksOk, the next step would be to verify the CD, type "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt.

Ok that didnt work eitther. It still hangs with

boot: testcd
Loading vmlinuz.............
Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue..

windos_no_thanks
02-26-2004, 09:07 AM
windos_no_thanksOk, the next step would be to verify the CD, type "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt.

Ok that didnt work eitther. It still hangs with

boot: testcd
Loading vmlinuz.............
Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue..
I'd say it is very likely you either have a faulty CD or hardware problems.

Check the md5sum of the iso file if you haven't done it already.
A windows checker program available here: http://etree.org/cgi-bin/counter.cgi/software/md5sum.exe
(get the *.iso.md5 file from the same place you got the iso file and compare the contents of it with the result the checker program gives)
If the md5sum doesn't match something has gone wrong during the download. Web browsers seem to have pretty crappy download features, some downloader software is recommended.

If the md5sum matches the burner software might be the cause of the problem, unfortunately many of them seem to be of poor quality...

pvalley
02-27-2004, 05:52 AM
well in all my time i hate to tell you this but you have a blown cd i would give it another go but before you do double check to see that you have the most recent directx installed and check to see if there are any patches to easy cd creator if all else fails get nero burning rom you can get vers 5.5 pretty cheap via the internet

Paul

robbyappleton
02-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Got mine to work...all it took was downloading alcohol 120% and burning the .iso with that.

efi360
02-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Go to linuxiso.org and on the right side of page click on how to burn a iso it has explination for how to burn with easy cd creator ,nero and others program( you burned it wrong ) you have to click on edit or file cant remember wich one at top of program then selct copy image from iso then at bottom use pull down to selct iso file type other wise choice in file window wont show Just follow there instructions Its self explanitory

efi360
02-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Sorry1 on left side of page at linuxiso.org

millennia
02-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Well I think I finally figured it out!
I downloaded Knoppix via Internet explorer.
I think that might have been the problem (go figure).
It could also have been the way I burned it with easy cd creater.
I had a lot of differnt things (variables) that I tried.
Finally I downloaded it via Netscape,
Burned the ISO via Nero 5.5 (or somethhing like that),
and it worked out ok.
In the future, I'll download with a download software like windos_no_thanks sugguested or at least via somthing other than microsoft. I would reccommend the same to others..
Thanks guys.