PDA

View Full Version : How do u patch a kernel?

Smoke187
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi I have a speedtouch dsl modem and I`d like to know how to patch a kernel(btw I am linux nooB). Also there`s a how to for Debian users(we are Debian users right??). It requires me to use apt-get install, how I am supposed to download the kernel if I can`t even connect through the internet??

Stephen
02-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi I have a speedtouch dsl modem and I`d like to know how to patch a kernel(btw I am linux nooB). Also there`s a how to for Debian users(we are Debian users right??). It requires me to use apt-get install, how I am supposed to download the kernel if I can`t even connect through the internet??

Your online now so you have access to the internet you use this access to go to www.kernel.org and get the kernel you want download to your current install then when you have booted to the HD install of knoppix you mount the partition that you have the kernel source on and copy it to /usr/src. Once there you would cd /usr/src then tar -xjvf linux-2.??.?? to extract the source next cd linux-2.??.?? change to the directory created during the extraction and patch -p1 < /path/to/patch/file patch the kernel source tree now cd .. change back to the /usr/src directory. Then you would use the standard Debian steps to configure and install a kernel.

cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.??.?? linux
cd linux
make {menu,x,g}config
fakeroot make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_headers
cd ..
su
password for root
dpkg -i kernel_image.......deb kernel_headers.......deb
reboot to the new kernel

A more complete guide is here (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/index-kernel-pkg.html).