PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.2 upgrade

anduril
02-25-2004, 02:49 AM
Ok, I'm not sure if this is a simple process or not and I have looked around a bit but I'm hoping someone could maybe point me to this in an easier way.

Anyways, I did a fresh install of Knoppix 3.3 and while its working quite well and everythings usable I'd love to go from KDE 3.1.5 to KDE 3.2 since its even more usable and refined. Basically, whats the easiest way of doing that?

I know apt-get is (obviously) the way to go about it and I'm already using the unstable/testing sources but is there a meta-package I can point to like "apt-get install KDE3.2?" or is more involved than that?

Any advice is appreciated and...if none...I'm sure I'll eventually find a way :)

Joe999
02-25-2004, 03:45 AM
Try adding this to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://rs.fuzz.nl/muesli/686/kde_head/ unstable/

I don't know if you'd need to do this, but also in apt.conf I changed
APT::Default-Release "unstable";
to some random gibberish inside the quote. I don't know if that's needed, but someone recomended that to me when I was trying to install an earlier cvs build of kde a while back, so I figued might as well while I was editing files. If you're using a mix of unstable and testing though, it might not be such a good idea. I think with no real designation it just upgrades to the latest version, though perhaps someone with more experience and knowledge than me might comment on that :)

After that, I just did a apt-get dist-upgrade , it downloaded and installed almost everything. I think the only problem came from k3b. I forced that package, and havn't had any problems burning cds with the new install, so I think everything's OK.

anduril
02-25-2004, 03:50 AM
Ok, so basically I'm looking at commenting out whats in my sources list and adding in that line and doing a dist-upgrade?

Stephen
02-25-2004, 04:25 AM
Ok, so basically I'm looking at commenting out whats in my sources list and adding in that line and doing a dist-upgrade?

The sources have changed from the line above you now need.

## KDE 3.2 built for unstable and 686 or better processor
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/kde-unstable-debian/kde_head/ unstable/

In the file then use dselect update to update the packages list of both dkpg and apt so they both know about the new change and you may want to try apt-get -s -t ftp.snt.utwente.nl dist-upgrade if the output looks good then remove the -s to install. Any packages it says it needs will most likely be coming from unstable so apt-get install package/unstable then try again with the dist-upgrade. Any error you get unpacking the files you need to cd /var/cache/apt/archives then dpkg -i --force-overwrite package and you should dpkg --configure -a to make sure no package has been left unconfigured.

anduril
02-25-2004, 04:29 PM

The sources have changed from the line above you now need.

## KDE 3.2 built for unstable and 686 or better processor
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/kde-unstable-debian/kde_head/ unstable/

In the file then use dselect update to update the packages list of both dkpg and apt so they both know about the new change and you may want to try apt-get -s -t ftp.snt.utwente.nl dist-upgrade if the output looks good then remove the -s to install. Any packages it says it needs will most likely be coming from unstable so apt-get install package/unstable then try again with the dist-upgrade. Any error you get unpacking the files you need to cd /var/cache/apt/archives then dpkg -i --force-overwrite package and you should dpkg --configure -a to make sure no package has been left unconfigured.

Ok, I think I followed most of that. We'll see tonight whether I bork the install or not :) Thanks for the help btw

Hayabusa
02-26-2004, 06:53 AM
anyone else who has upgraded to KDE 3.2 with the CVS-HEAD noticed any annoying flicker with the icons on the kicker when using any color scheme that doesn't have a grey background?

I noticed this happening after the 20040212 or maybe it was 20040214. The flicker is annoying, using grey is bland, anyone have any ideas/fixes for this?

Stephen
02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
anyone else who has upgraded to KDE 3.2 with the CVS-HEAD noticed any annoying flicker with the icons on the kicker when using any color scheme that doesn't have a grey background?

I noticed this happening after the 20040212 or maybe it was 20040214. The flicker is annoying, using grey is bland, anyone have any ideas/fixes for this?

Never noticed that at all but I have mine set to transparent you may want to give try that. That is with all the cvs versions and the Debian packages from experimental I just switched too tonight now that they have almost everything I need.

champagnemojo
02-26-2004, 07:52 AM
I'm still using the original 02/04 version of the 3.2 packages. Is there any reason I should update? It's been very stable for me already, so I'm a little wary of doing so...but if there are major enhancements or something I'll update them. What do you guys think?

Stephen
02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm still using the original 02/04 version of the 3.2 packages. Is there any reason I should update? It's been very stable for me already, so I'm a little wary of doing so...but if there are major enhancements or something I'll update them. What do you guys think?

Well you know the old saying if it ain't broke why fix it, that being said I had no problems with the newer packages or with the ones I have installed from experimental in Debian. I have been running them most of the day on my testing drive and they seem very stable.

katsushiro
03-02-2004, 12:44 PM

I got that too, but only on my Toshiba laptop. I upgraded both my desktop machine (an Athlon XP box) and my laptop (A Toshiba with a Celeron CPU) to KDE 3.2 using the instructions on this thread. Both upgrades went along pretty smoothly, had to manually force a couple of packages, but once I did that, everything worked beautifully.

However, on the laptop, I got the icon flicker, but it wasn't on the desktop, it was on the taskbar. And while the icons were flickering, my CPU would get pegged at 100% and stay there. I fixed it by setting a background image on the taskbar. As soon as I put a bg image on it, the flickering stopped and the CPU went back to normal. but if I try and keep the taskbar with its usual grey bg, the computer goes nuts. Also, this problem happened only on the laptop, the desktop is just fine.

If your icon flickering is on the taskbar, try that, setting a bg image on it and see if it goes away (there's some decent taskbar background over at kde-look.org)

debi
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Well i did the way described above and now if i try to login i am sent back to console! :shock:
if i type startx in the console i can see shortly the screen and then i am again sent back to console but there are no errors.
Has anyone suggestions?

Hayabusa
03-07-2004, 10:17 PM
I had no luck at all with the getting the CVS kicker build to not flicker, setting transparencies and background images did absolutely zero (no background image, no transparency just the wonderful flicker). however thankfully kicker is one of the handful of KDE 3.2.1 packages that has made its way into sid and upgrading to those packages has fixed all of these issues.

as for debi's cooments it sounds like something i ran into a while back after upgrading kde. It sounds like xdm/kdm is up and running when that comes up and you log in the first time you have yo specify to log into KDE, which will then set KDE as the default, for some reason after upgrading at times the default widnow manager isn;t set and a login will kick you right back out.

kovk
03-08-2004, 03:15 AM
If you follow these instructions they should provide the easiest and most hassle free way to upgrade knoppix.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I tried doing everything on this page 4 times and failed each time. Now it seems KDE 3.2 is mostly in the unstable repository, and I'll describe what I did which eventually worked. After messing everything up, I did a clean install with the latest version of Knoppix 3.3

Do NOT add any extra lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

Here is all you need to do people.
(revised guide, thanks Stephen)

1. Install Knoppix

2. log in as root (Do NOT do this from KDE, log into fluxbox or just do it from the console.)

3. apt-get update

4. apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade

it downloads the packages and on mine and likely anyone else using a new clean version of knoppix it failed after doing trying to install kdebase.

5. dpkg --force--overwrite --install xxx.deb for each package that has this problem. (if you get a huge list of things you need to force try doing a 'apt-get -f install')

6. dpkg --configure -a

7. apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade (it picks up where it left off)

follow steps 4 - 7 until you get no more errors

8. apt-get -u -t unstable install kdeartwork

9. Log out and type kdm, or just reboot.

10. Enjoy!

Anyway, it works. mostly, I don't seem to have the new taskbar applets but I think thats just because they havn't been added to the repository yet.

Stephen
03-08-2004, 03:47 AM
Do NOT add any extra lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

Correct KDE 3.2.1 is mostly in unstable now.

4. apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade

Should be -t unstable you do not need the people packages and some people may want to use apt-get install -t unstable kdebase kdebase-bin ..... until you have all the KDE packages installed if they do not want to upgrade their whole install to unstable.

it downloads the packages and on mine(and likely anyone else using this version of knoppix. it failed after doing trying to install kdebase)

5. dpkg --force--overwrite --install xxx.deb for each package that has this problem. (should just be one, kdebase)

Good thing it was a fresh install and not the CVS packages I had to do all kinds of overwrites.

6. apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade (it picks up where it left off)

You should always use dpkg --configure -a before picking back up to configure any packages that may have been missed when you had the errors and had to force overwrite.

Anyway, it works. mostly, I don't seem to have the new taskbar applets or the plastik theme, but I think thats just because they havn't been added to the repository yet. I assume they will appear and I will be able to get them later with an additional 'apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade'

You missed some of the artwork packages it was either the -style or the -theme-window that did not get installed on mine.

[10:21 PM Sun Mar 07: stephen @ ~]
>$ COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.2.1
[snip...]
ii kdeartwork 3.2.1-1 themes, styles and more from the official KDE release
ii kdeartwork-misc 3.2.1-1 various multimedia goodies released with KDE
ii kdeartwork-style 3.2.1-1 widget styles released with KDE
ii kdeartwork-theme-desktop 3.2.1-1 Dummy upgrade package for official KDE desktop themes
ii kdeartwork-theme-icon 3.2.1-1 icon themes released with KDE
ii kdeartwork-theme-window 3.2.1-1 window decoration themes released with KDE
[snip...]

kelmo
03-09-2004, 04:46 AM
Now the next challenge is to intergrate this into a remaster. Can anyone speculate whether or not the 45Xsession script will need to be modified to initiate KDE3.2 single live-cd session?

aay
03-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Stephen,

(Or anyone else who has been using 3.2/3.2.1) have you had problems using alt + tab to switch between windows? I've found that on more than one of my machines if I have a few applications open and try and switch between them using alt + tab that sometimes window preview app pops up and then gets stuck. This would also happen in 3.1 occasionally but I found that clicking on the preview window itself would usually get rid of it. In 3.2 the problem has been much worse for me. When it gets stuck in 3.2, there is nothing I can do. The mouse will move all around the screen, but virtually none of the kde windows will respond to any right or left clicks. Moreover, the keyboard pretty unresponsive altogether. This means that trying to get into a virtual terminal and kill something via ctrl + alt + Fn won't work at all. Ctrl + alt + esc won't invoke xkill either. I have been able to ssh into said box and kill kdm. Then I can restart KDE w/o rebooting, but what sort of solution is this? Not a very good one. I haven't updated to 3.2.1 yet so maybe it's fixed there. Anyone else had this problem though? I asked about it in irc at #kde, but didn't get much of a response: just someone who didn't like Debian.

Thanks,

Adam

Stephen
03-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Stephen,

(Or anyone else who has been using 3.2/3.2.1) have you had problems using alt + tab to switch between windows? I've found that on more than one of my machines if I have a few applications open and try and switch between them using alt + tab that sometimes window preview app pops up and then gets stuck. This would also happen in 3.1 occasionally but I found that clicking on the preview window itself would usually get rid of it. In 3.2 the problem has been much worse for me. When it gets stuck in 3.2, there is nothing I can do. The mouse will move all around the screen, but virtually none of the kde windows will respond to any right or left clicks. Moreover, the keyboard pretty unresponsive altogether. This means that trying to get into a virtual terminal and kill something via ctrl + alt + Fn won't work at all. Ctrl + alt + esc won't invoke xkill either. I have been able to ssh into said box and kill kdm. Then I can restart KDE w/o rebooting, but what sort of solution is this? Not a very good one. I haven't updated to 3.2.1 yet so maybe it's fixed there. Anyone else had this problem though? I asked about it in irc at #kde, but didn't get much of a response: just someone who didn't like Debian.

Thanks,

Adam

No never seen that it works fine here and has through the CVS till now, the only thing I see a problem with is using the preview a post a couple of times a day at most it seg faults Konqueror and it is only here on this site that I have the problem damn weird. Although I do seem to recall reading somewhere about kdeinit taking about 100% cpu usage on occasion I think that was on the CVS or Debian User mailing list. I would say definitely upgrade if only to get the official packages then see if the problem persists.

c123
03-18-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm trying to upgrade KDE but am having problems. I am logged in as root in a shell in IceWM.

root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg --force --overwrite --install libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb
dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `--overwrite'
root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg --force--overwrite --install libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb
dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `-overwrite'

I tried `apt-get -f install' but that just gave me a lot of 'error processing' and 'dependency problems'

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4-dev:
kdelibs4-dev depends on libarts1-dev; however:
Package libarts1-dev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kdelibs4-dev (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
libxpm-dev
libxp-dev
libxext-dev
libxrandr-dev
libxv-dev
j2re1.4
libxtst-dev
libxi-dev
libsm-dev
libice-dev
libxt-dev
xlibs-static-dev
libxmuu-dev
libx11-dev
libxtrap-dev
xlibs-dev
libxmu-dev
libqt3-mt-dev
libarts1-dev
kdelibs4-dev

With all these errors I have not tried step 8. 'apt-get -u -t unstable install kdeartwork'.

Any ideas as to what to try next?

[[This is an install of Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-19 I think) installed to a firewire HDD; I am using the CD to boot to run level 2 then doing a pivot_root to switch the root to the firewire HDD and then going to run level 5.]]

Stephen
03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb and put all the files that need overwriting on the same line and then dpkg --configure -a to configure any packages that may have been missed when the error happened.

c123
03-18-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks for a quick reply :) I tried that, but still no go

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg -i --force-overwrite libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.d
eb libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb l
ibxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmuu1
_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxrandr2_4.
3.0-7_i386.deb libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxv1_4.3.0
-7_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxmuu1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxrandr2_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install):
libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb
libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxmuu1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxrandr2_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb

I then tried 'dpkg --configure -a' but that just gave me errors as well

<snip>
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libarts1-dev:
libarts1-dev depends on libqt3-mt-dev; however:
Package libqt3-mt-dev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libarts1-dev (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4-dev:
kdelibs4-dev depends on libarts1-dev; however:
Package libarts1-dev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kdelibs4-dev (--configure):
libxpm-dev
libxp-dev
libxext-dev
libxrandr-dev
libxv-dev
j2re1.4
libxtst-dev
libxi-dev
libsm-dev
libice-dev
libxt-dev
xlibs-static-dev
libxmuu-dev
libx11-dev
libxtrap-dev
xlibs-dev
libxmu-dev
libqt3-mt-dev
libarts1-dev

I get the impression that it is not to be... Wonder if Knoppix 3.4 CeBit edition will have kde 3.2. Oh well if you or anyone else still have any ideas I'm listening. I don;t suppose it could be a problem with my sources.list?

Stephen
03-18-2004, 11:53 PM
You would have to change to the /var/cache/apt/archives directory first to use that command or use the entire path to the file, left that out sorry. You may have to try apt-get --reinstall install the packages the will not configure and see if that helps, after doing the overwrite then --configure -a first to see if the errors persist.

c123
03-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Well I'm impressed Stephen, not only have you replied twice very quickly, but you've helped me get a bit further each time. I managed to fix the errors by cd'ing into the cache directory as you said, and as I type this so 'apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade' is doing its stuff :)

I'll report back on how I get on... quick question 'apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade' updates every package on my system right, except of course the kernel and its modules? Tomorrow I'll print out the apt guide (O'Reilly pdf) referred to in the apt-get sticky of the hard rive install forum.

Stephen
03-19-2004, 02:12 AM
I'll report back on how I get on... quick question 'apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade' updates every package on my system right, except of course the kernel and its modules? Tomorrow I'll print out the apt guide (O'Reilly pdf) referred to in the apt-get sticky of the hard rive install forum.

Yes that is what it does you have to specifically upgrade your kernel if you want that to happen.

c123
03-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Hello again,

Well KDE 3.2.x seems to be installed... Seems as I cannot get to the desktop (!) but a couple of KDE apps I launched from the shell in IceWM state 3.2.1 as their verison :)

As I said I cannot get to the desktop - I launch kdm, select kde3 as the window manager, and windowmaker starts up instead :( I can get into other window managers (well I'm in IceWM at the moment, and I was in FluxBox 15 minutes ago). I realise I must have screwed up a config file when installing, but I don't know which one. I've checked this forum and googled a fair bit, but I haven't found anything.

What file would it be that I have to edit / or what config program can I launch?

Thnaks, and good-night (now 2.35 a.m. here! funny how time flies when you're having fun with linux!)

c123
03-19-2004, 12:00 PM
A little update as I'm too tired for work and I'm tired of F5'ing the main (forum) page waiting for news of Knoppix 3.4 CeBIT ;)

Seems I was a bit hasty in stopping the dist-upgrade installation (actually must have been configuration by now - I'm pretty sure I was doing a 'dpkg --configure -a') of a package that I thought had hung - cannot remember the exact name, but it was the 'locales' one. For some reason this took *ages* to complete (40 minutes or so), and made my CPU process hit 100% for a lot of the time. At one of the z*-*** locales the app really looked as if had hung - nothing for 10-15 (maybe longer) minutes (this is when I cancelled the first time). Anyway after my last post I kept the faith, waited for ages so letting it complete etc.

The result was that at the end 'dpkg --configure -a' only returned one error - about j2re1.4 (which I need and hwich I'll try to fix later). I rebooted, hoping that this time I could get into kde 3.2

Can't remember exactly (was 3 a.m. by this stage), whether kdm worked at *all* or whether I had to use startx, but I was greeted by kdm :)) Only this time kde3 is no where to be seen in the list of window manager! I could log into the other window managers OK though.

I think I must have screwed up my (k)dm or window manager settings when debconf wanted to configure my updated xfree (asking about keboard maps and who knows what else)....

Anyway after a couple of hours of looking (googling a bit then checking out the kde-linux mailing list archives) I've got a number of things to check out tonight. Otherwise I'll just have to do a new Knoppix installwith the 3.4 CeBIT version.

Anyway, time for some serious work before lunch.

Stephen
03-19-2004, 09:12 PM
A little update as I'm too tired for work and I'm tired of F5'ing the main (forum) page waiting for news of Knoppix 3.4 CeBIT ;)

Seems I was a bit hasty in stopping the dist-upgrade installation (actually must have been configuration by now - I'm pretty sure I was doing a 'dpkg --configure -a') of a package that I thought had hung - cannot remember the exact name, but it was the 'locales' one. For some reason this took *ages* to complete (40 minutes or so), and made my CPU process hit 100% for a lot of the time. At one of the z*-*** locales the app really looked as if had hung - nothing for 10-15 (maybe longer) minutes (this is when I cancelled the first time). Anyway after my last post I kept the faith, waited for ages so letting it complete etc.

That damn bug is still there over a year later thats not performance at all. Use apt-get install localepurge and go through the configuration and unselect all locales except the ones you want to keep for me that is usually the en and all the en_US... and say yes to the delete man pages and no to be informed of new locales just let the system delete them as they are added. Then edit the file /etc/locale.gen and delete all the locales except the ones you kept and now when you install new software for the first time again you should see about a couple of hundred megs of junk get removed if you choose the calculation of space saved during the configuration.

The result was that at the end 'dpkg --configure -a' only returned one error - about j2re1.4 (which I need and hwich I'll try to fix later). I rebooted, hoping that this time I could get into kde 3.2

Can't remember exactly (was 3 a.m. by this stage), whether kdm worked at *all* or whether I had to use startx, but I was greeted by kdm :)) Only this time kde3 is no where to be seen in the list of window manager! I could log into the other window managers OK though.

Ah the joys of the late night upgrade fired my entire system once doing that. I seem to remember reading on the developer list that you need a ~/.wmrc with only kde3 as the contents and when I first upgraded to the 3.2 I had to choose the kde3 from the menu list in the KDM or it would not login.

I think I must have screwed up my (k)dm or window manager settings when debconf wanted to configure my updated xfree (asking about keboard maps and who knows what else)....

Anyway after a couple of hours of looking (googling a bit then checking out the kde-linux mailing list archives) I've got a number of things to check out tonight. Otherwise I'll just have to do a new Knoppix installwith the 3.4 CeBIT version.

Anyway, time for some serious work before lunch.

You should be able to dpkg-reconfigure package_name to have the configuration questions asked again so you can check the prior answers that you gave or were accepted on your behalf with the defaults if you said yes to them all. For the keymaps if you are having problems it would be IIRC console-common for the console keymap and xserver-xfree86 for X.

c123
03-22-2004, 01:09 AM
Success!

I followed all your pointers and I have now have a nice KDE 3.2.1 desktop :)

- I cleared up the locales mess - glad (?) to hear that it's a bug and not just my incompetence ;)
- I continued 'dpkg --configure -a'-ing and 'apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade'-ing (and probably other things mentioned here), had a crash, rebooted a once or twice, used debconf (or was it just 'dpkg --configure -a' that launched debconf?) accepted new config files for X (and kdm?) etc etc and eventually everything came together :)

So the secret is have someone there to help you along (thanks Stephen), keep the faith (even if you find yourself losing window managers on the way), and just keep going at it.

Impressed with KDE 3.2, it's a very strong contender for my desktop/wm of choice (although I was surprised at how much I liked fluxbox; IceWM is the other one I appreciate). Just one particularly annoying bug though - Desktop Sharing does not work :( I've added to the bug report at the KDE site.

Now just back to waiting for Knoppix 3.4 CeBIT (I want a 2.6 kernel, and it's impossible for me to do a manual upgrade).