PDA

View Full Version : knoppix can't see the disks connected to promise ultra100tx2

pepesz
02-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm newbie in linux

My knoppix started from CD can't see the disks connected to promise controller card
When I'm starting knoppix from cd I got:

hdf: drive not ready for command
ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported command in request queue (0)
--------------//--------------------- 7 x
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed
ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported command in request queue (0)
--------------//--------------------- 3 x

I found somewhere that starting linux with parameter:

boot: vmlinuz ide2=0xc800, 0xcc02 ide3=0xd000, 0xd402

should help. When I get after the above message the following ones:

pdcraid: Error reading superblock
pdcraid: Error reading superblock
hptraid: Error reading superblock
silraid: Error reading superblock

after that knoppix configures the system and starts, but without seeing the disks:(
The disks are connected to ultra 100 tx2 promise pci card

What should i do ? The tech. supp. of promise techn. send me info that there are no drivers required since support for that card should be build in the kernel

thanx in advance

Lukasz

schteelhead
05-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Pepesz,

Whatever did you find out? My 133 TX2 is doing a similar thing. qtparted sees the disk, correctly identifies the size, but will not alllow me to resize the partition. I've also tried ntfsresize, it does not see the drive at all.

I am beginning to suspect the 133 TX2 is interfering with the whole process. My machine is a Dell XPS RS400, circa 1998. It does not support booting directly from the cd either, had to make a boot floppy in order to run the Knoppix cd.

All I want is to be able to install and run this thing, it's almost an obsession now.

Thanks, James

schteelhead
05-14-2004, 08:34 PM
qtparted is seeing my Diamond max 80 gb disk as hdf, it looks to me that it is not seeing it as the primary hd, but perhaps as a storage device? If this is true, then this might be the problem.

What say you Linux sleuths?

What is the solution?

schteelhead
05-17-2004, 04:35 AM