PDA

View Full Version : HDD install EASY AS

KeithBlake
02-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I have just installed Knoppix 3.3 (16/02/2004)
Man how easy was the set up, it has really improved...

The last Knoppix I tried was 3.1 that was good too but this was great....I've tried Debian a few times and failed miserably, So I am dumping Mandrake 9.2 for Knoppix/Debian mainly because apt-get is so good....I am keeping my XP partition though some things in there are a bit easier than Linux....

apt-get install tuxracer THAT EASY ! ! ! !

And how easy is the Nvidia install with the script supplied by Kano @ http://kano.mipooh.net/

Having trouble with 1024x768 though....
I edited the XF86Config-4 file and added "1024x768" in the appropriate section but no go as of yet...I logged out and alt-ctrl-backspace to restart x server (should I reeboot? guess I'll find out later)

Sound works fine (wouldn't with a Debian install)..
It put my Windows partition shortcuts on the desktop..

Just got to look into putting "/Knoppix/home" onto a spare ext3 partition I have....If I move "Knoppix/Home" to another partition can I change the name?

Cheers guys..
:D

rickenbacherus
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Having trouble with 1024x768 though....
I edited the XF86Config-4 file and added "1024x768" in the appropriate section but no go as of yet...I logged out and alt-ctrl-backspace to restart x server (should I reeboot? guess I'll find out later)

You should also have:

DefaultColorDepth 24

and

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"

Just got to look into putting "/Knoppix/home" onto a spare ext3 partition I have....If I move "Knoppix/Home" to another partition can I change the name?

Cheers guys..
:D

Maybe I don't follow you correctly. When you installed you should have had the opprtunity to create a new user. Is that what you mean by "change the name"? There shouldn't be any directory named /Knoppix/home but simply /home and in /home you would find the username you created. You can move /home if you like (although it's much easier to do it during install ;) ).

KeithBlake
02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reply and the info on 1024x768...

I must have missed something on the install regarding the home partition and the creation of different users..
Might reinstall and go through it all again...

Thanks again..

champagnemojo
02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Did you use knx-hdinstall rather than the newer knoppix-installer? Because, as rickenbacherus says, you should have been asked to choose the user name during the install if you used the newer script. I doubt ya missed it...probably just used the older script. :)

And to put your home partition on a different partition will require that you manually alter the config file...check out Rickenbacherus' howto (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32181).