PDA

View Full Version : pcmcia cdrom and no floppy installation

vx_imran
02-26-2004, 09:10 AM
was wondering if i could get a full installation of knoppix on a laptop with a pcmcia cdrom and no floppy drive.

i've read through many posts but i don't think find any with the exact same problem.

i read somewhere that "Smart Boot Manager" can boot from pcmcia cdrom's so i tried that but i couldn't get it to detect the cdrom ( i probably have to fiddle with the I/O port settings ) . so i guess thats out of the question.

oh yeah . . i have xp installed on ntfs and winME on fat. i can access the Knoppix CD through windows and its connected to the internet so i can download stuff like w32grub,etc.

i've read some posts which suggest i copy the files from the CD to the fat partition and setup w32grub someway so that it boots from the knoppix dir in fat. i haven't tried this yet, i'll do it if no other better suggestions come my way. if i do it this way, knoppix still isn't installed right ? its still compressed .. so how do i do a full installation with pcmcia cdrom and no floppy ?

thanks in advance.

windos_no_thanks
02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
i've read some posts which suggest i copy the files from the CD to the fat partition and setup w32grub someway so that it boots from the knoppix dir in fat. i haven't tried this yet, i'll do it if no other better suggestions come my way. if i do it this way, knoppix still isn't installed right ? its still compressed .. so how do i do a full installation with pcmcia cdrom and no floppy ?

The idea is that you then boot the compressed Knoppix image and use it to do another (debian style) install. Haven't tried it myself but it sounds like it should work.

vx_imran
02-26-2004, 09:47 AM
another thing i noticed is that i'm supposed to make a boot floppy and then copy the files from the floppy onto my fat partition.

can i just download the files somewhere on the net ? i don't have access to a floppy drive.