PDA

View Full Version : I#ve downloaded knoppix but cant boot from cd-have read all

ikoni
02-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here, I hope you can help.
I have just downloaded for the second time from two different sources KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN. I have burnt images before but something is not right with this one.

The downloaded file is a single rar, when I extract it to a folder I see 3 folders, DEMO, KNOPPIX, TALKS. I also see autorun.bat, autorun.inf, cdicon, index.html. Within the KNOPPIX folder is a file called KNOPPIX which is about 700mb, but is not an iso and is not recognised by nero or alcohol 120% as a image.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Crusader
02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
It sounds like you found a copy that was compressed with RAR instead of filed as an ISO image. If you burn all the files in the .rar file to the CD with all the directories and subdirectories intact, it should work. Or if you can spare the bandwidth to try again, try getting Knoppix from one of the mirrors linked to from the "Get Knoppix' button on this site. They're .iso images.

ikoni
02-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks, I will try that, although this is my second time downloading it, first from a bittorent site, and second from this site, but I will try it again thanks.

archvile
02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here, I hope you can help.
I have just downloaded for the second time from two different sources KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN. I have burnt images before but something is not right with this one.

The downloaded file is a single rar, when I extract it to a folder I see 3 folders, DEMO, KNOPPIX, TALKS. I also see autorun.bat, autorun.inf, cdicon, index.html. Within the KNOPPIX folder is a file called KNOPPIX which is about 700mb, but is not an iso and is not recognised by nero or alcohol 120% as a image.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

I think what happend is windows tried to save the image file to something it may reconize, try downloading it again, but when you get to the save as window, there should be something similar to "save as type" at the bottom of the, it will say "WinRaR Archive" or "Compressed Archive", click the arrow and click ALL FILES, this way it will save as a .iso file and you can burn and boot from the CD :) Hope this helps

ikoni
02-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Well this is the fourth time I have downloaded knoppix and I still cannot see the iso file, where in the hell is it :?: Normally people have trouble with the use of Linux but this is silly :-).

Could someone please tell me which is the file to burn and where it is?

rickenbacherus
02-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Go to the 'Get Knoppix' link at the top of the page.

Choose a mirror and get this:

KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso

If it doesn't end in .iso then you have the wrong one. Also get:

KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso.md5

Oh and I don't think this is in any way related to difficulties using Linux. ;)

ikoni
02-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Well, I am writing this reply using knoppix konqeror....
Wehey, thanks for all the help with finding the iso, it was actually the rar file, weird.

Thanks alot
:D