PDA

View Full Version : STUCK: can't boot knoppix from HD

fmarzocca
02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I have recently removed Mandrake from my HD, as I was strongly disappointed. When I tried Knoppix-live, I decided to install it! But...
I have Win XP on first Hard Drive, and I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.3 on second one, creating the bootloader LILO the same partiton (root). The installation went fine, execpt I had an error when Knoppix asked me to write data on a floppy (it didn't do it). When I rebooted I realized I cannot access to Linux, due to the fact that my Compaq Presario BIOS is not able to boot on second HD (only to C:), and I have no bott-floppy. Now I am stuck... Cannot make the bootloader on first HD due to NTFS, cannot load the boot from second HD due to BIOS.... :-( Anyone knows how to put lilo an floppy (recall, I can't booot HD installation, but only live CD...)

windos_no_thanks
02-26-2004, 08:50 PM
The morphix boot disk is useful as a general-purpose booter for cases like this when the BIOS is too stupid.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphix/morphixboot_02.img?download

fmarzocca
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks! I'll have a look...

fmarzocca
02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
GREAT! It works. Now I can have my knoppix on HD.
Thank you.

rickenbacherus
02-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Now I am stuck... Cannot make the bootloader on first HD due to NTFS,

That my friend is an incorrect assumption. You surely can install lilo to MBR but if you like booting a floppy then by all means enjoy! :)