PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell how big my partitions are

KnopperX
02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I am looking to figure out how big my partitions are. When I tried the windows style attemp, properties, I get no luck. Any one know how I can find this out.

windos_no_thanks
02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
For mounted partitions use "df" (on the command line in a Konsole window), for all partitions use "fdisk -l". Note that the output of fdisk is in blocks, which may or may not be 1KB (sometimes just 512B)

UnderScore
02-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I use cfdisk instead of fdisk as it lists sizes in MB & it easier to understand. use df -h to make is display human readable file sizes.

windos_no_thanks
02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
One more thing: fdisk and cfdisk both require you to be root when running them.

KnopperX
02-27-2004, 11:54 AM
What exactly do I type in the command line of a Konsole window to run cfdisk? Also, what does "fdisk and cfdisk both require you to be root when running them" mean? and how do I do it?

UnderScore
02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
On any multi-user system someone must be able to kill hanging/crashed programs, create user accounts and/or reset passwords, install new programs, and many other system administrative tasks.

In Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 this special user is typically known as Administrator. In Linux or UNIX this special user is known as superuser or root. Root can do almost anything that root wants to do on the system.

It is not good practice to always logon as root. It is too easy to make a command or mouse mistake and damage the system such as deleting files from an important directory. This is why in Knoppix we are logged on as the user knoppix. You can get root or superuser access by going to the KMenu -> Knoppix Menu->Root Shell. This Root Shell, if I remember correctly, is green & will let you run fdisk or cfdisk.