PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if I have a RAID Configuration with Knoppix

KnopperX
02-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I am trying to make a back up of both of my hard drives using knoppix. I am using a computer that I know nothing about and neither does the owner so they cant tell me. I would like to use this tutorial www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/#hd on this webpage to backup all of the data on both hard drives to a third hard drive. However, the motherboard can only boot 2 hard drives at a time. I need to know HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF THIS COMPUTER WAS PREVIOUSLY USING A RAID CONFIGURATION because if it was than it would be pointless to copy the contents to one hard drive without using a special program to unRAID the hard disks. Once again, if any one could tell me HOW I CAN FIND OUT IF THIS COMPUTER WAS PREVIOUSLY USING A RAID CONFIGURATION I would be very thankful. I also want to thank windos no thanks and Underscore for all the help they have given me so far. You guys are great.

firebyrd10
02-29-2004, 03:49 AM
Well I personally never had used or even seen a RAID config But I know that there are two types. 1. there is the main hardrive, then theres a second the makes an EXACT cpy of the first in real time. Then theres the other config, it takes multiple drives and "merges" them together to form one big drive. That means that a file is split across N drives. Take out the other hardrive and see if the computer can boot. If it can then that most likly means that A it is a RAID 1 config or that computer doesn't use RAID. As for
HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF THIS COMPUTER WAS PREVIOUSLY USING A RAID CONFIGURATION because if it was than it would be pointless to copy the contents to one hard drive without using a special program to unRAID the hard disks. That wouldn't matter as I haven't heard of a signal type 2 RAID config that uses software. Its always been a hardware thing.

Anyway, boot up knoppix and take a look at each one of the drive. Are they the same? can you use any of the files in them? Chances are unless your useing a business or some other server type computer that its not going to be a RAID config. The person might just have two hardrives. Heck I have two hardrives, one for main data another for game files and what not.

to backup all of the data on both hard drives to a third hard drive. However, the motherboard can only boot 2 hard drives at a time While if its not useing a RAID or RAID type 1 then what you can do if take one drive out, put the new one it, copy it, then take it out and put the other in then do the same thing.

TO answer your main question, I don't think there is any software way of tell if the computer is useing RAID. And if all you want to do is back up the data knoppix docs has some nice information on how to do that, even over a network if you don't want to take any of the drives out. here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/ImageYourHardDriveUsingKnoppix)

Hope this helps.