PDA

View Full Version : Got knoppix from a frien and i am a changed man

leq75
02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Ok i have been using win98 since it first came out and well i am really sick of the blue screen of death.So a friend gave me one of these knoppix cd's and i am not a genuis but muddling threw it with no l;inux knowledge at all i found it pretty easy touse.So now i am a changed man and instead of upgrding to XP :twisted: and giving the devil his due i am goin to linux,but not sure what linux i need to do what i want.so here is what i got and what i want to do maybe some suggestions:

computer is a:ICECUBE PC 2.4 P4,samsung 120gb hdd,samsung 52x cd-r,Visionplus 1020a dvb pci card,1gb ddr ram,I have no floppy drive either

what i want todo:,Watch my tv thru my dvb card,play my mame games,ftp my xbox which uses gentoo linux i believe,and surf the net(by the way do any ISP'S support the use of linux or would it be better to just go with cable or dsl?

What ever assistence you can give would be greatly appreciated

rickenbacherus
02-27-2004, 10:17 PM
computer is a:ICECUBE PC 2.4 P4,samsung 120gb hdd,samsung 52x cd-r,Visionplus 1020a dvb pci card,1gb ddr ram,I have no floppy drive either

Knoppix is a great way to test a machine for Linux compatibility.

surf the net(by the way do any ISP'S support the use of linux or would it be better to just go with cable or dsl?

Usually your ISP could care less what OS you have. Net zero reportedly has some software that you need and AFAIK there isn't a Linux verison of that software. My ISP (Adelphia) likes to tell its customers that you need to install their software but they don't make a Linux version and I don't run windows at home. ;)

I have no idea what a mame game is. You can ftp to anything that runs an ftp server. There are apps for watching tv under Linux as well although I'm not overly familiar with any of them.

aay
02-28-2004, 05:39 AM
If you are trying to watch TV with your tv card, you can use xawtv, but you probably need to do some configuration first. There are some scripts written by Fabian to walk you through this process. You can find them in the Knoppix folder in the K menu.