PDA

View Full Version : Help! Kppp wont launch in new

efi360
02-28-2004, 08:47 PM
using Knop. 3.3 installed on hard drive. I added new user in root with adduser command gave new user name and password everything went fine. loged back in as new user set up desktop and things the way I like but on launching kppp it would not open tried few times but no go. Loged back out and back in as root and it opend fine also loged in as default knoppix user also opend fine loged back in as new created user it did not work . Is this a permission thing that I have to give from root side . Any help would be appreciated Thanks

mightydavefish
02-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Did you add the new user to the dialout group?
I think (I haven't done it in a while) you can just add them with:
usermod -G dialout username
and that will add the user to the dialout group. Log out and when you log back in as that user you should be able to use the modem.
You can also use this command to add all those groups you will want your new user to be part of, since I think adduser doesn't add any groups.

efi360
02-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the post Mightydavefish

I tried out the command but it did not work however your answer did answer my question about permission so i opend up kuser from start button, systems, kuser icon, highlited the new user name then gave all permissions needed from tab at top. relogd out of root back in to new user and it worked ok. Thanks for the clue