PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting

chim
02-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi, I was dual booting for a while so i could get to know linux, and when i was in windows i changed the hd volumeid not knowing that it would mess up lilo rendering windows usless, anyone know of a way to change it back or fix it, i tried reinstalling knoppix and that didnt work

unamiccia
03-02-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure what "in windows i changed the hd volumeid" means, but lilo just goes looking for Windows on, say, hda1 (whatever's in /etc/lilo.conf). Lilo doesn't care what Windows thinks its "volumeid" is.

You didn't mess up lilo -- you messed up Windows. It wouldn't be booting now even if you'd never installed Knoppix and Knoppix had never installed lilo.

Try repairing Windows using the repair utilities on its installation CD. If you haven't made them yet, use other installation CD utilities to create Windows boot diskettes. Don't worry about dual booting until you get the Windows boot diskettes to start Windows. As soon as you're there, I'll bet that dual booting will be working again, too -- if not, edit lilo.conf (or install Knoppix once again!).

johnb
03-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Hi

As soon as you're there, I'll bet that dual booting will be working again, too -- if not, edit lilo.conf (or install Knoppix once again!).

you need to run the lilo command after editing lilo.conf.

lilo

cheers
johnb