PDA

View Full Version : Administrator USers

KnoppiXRuleZ
02-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi im the biggest linux lamer :)I just configure my internet on the knoppix and i can tell you it was very hard(for me):P
My friends told me that only administrator users are being atacked on linux so i want to ask a few questions.Is there a firewall or protection for the internet?How can i log as other user not administrator?WHen i give to user management knoppix ask for password???lol!I dont know it is there a default password or somethingThx before you answer:)

fingers99
02-29-2004, 05:19 PM
If you're just running from CD none of the administrator ("root" in Unixes) stuff really applies -- after all, even the toughest hacker can't do a lot of damage to a CD, eh?

If you are running Knoppix from your Hard dRive, take a look at:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/SecurityHowTo

rickenbacherus
02-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi im the biggest linux lamer :)I just configure my internet on the knoppix and i can tell you it was very hard(for me):P
My friends told me that only administrator users are being atacked on linux so i want to ask a few questions.

There is no such thing as administrator unless you specifically create a user with that name. In Linux it is called root.

Is there a firewall or protection for the internet?

Maybe an iptables script? Sorry- I use a router therefor I have no need for a firewall on Knoppix.

How can i log as other user not administrator?WHen i give to user management knoppix ask for password???lol!

You are not logged in as root by default. You must become root. Simply type su<enter> and you are root.

I dont know it is there a default password or somethingThx before you answer:)

Congratulations- you just asked the most popular question ever. Please read the Docs (http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing).

KnoppiXRuleZ
03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
10X :D But i have 1 more question were should i type su??? :oops:

rickenbacherus
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
10X :D But i have 1 more question were should i type su??? :oops:

In a terminal. On the taskbar the monitor w/ the shell on it is one terminal.

KnoppiXRuleZ
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah,yeah it works i start the ettercap and stuff :)10x again