PDA

View Full Version : Wifi on Thinkpad T30 - Live CD

Nullsand
03-01-2004, 01:13 AM
I am trying to get the built-in Wifi running on an IBM T30 laptop. I'm using the Live CD version 3.3 and am hoping to avoid a HDD install. This is a company owned machine and my principal use for Knoppix is to use the machine for personal reasons (which are permitted anyway, but I am just a paranoid type).

The wireless chip is a Cicso 350. It does not autodetect but I can successfully modprobe either the AIRO or ORINOCO modules. The driver loads and I can see it (UNUSED) with LSMOD.

But IWCONFIG and IFCONFIG do not return the interface. I *think* all I need is to modify MODULES.CONF and/or create a new interface file. But again, I am running from the CD and can't modify system files.

I suspect that this is either not possible or very simple and I am overlooking something fairly simple. I don't mind at all doing some manual steps or invoking a script from the HDD (or better, USB memory key) every time I boot.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

PAlvarez
03-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm assuming the wirless device is a PCMCIA card? Type dmesg after inserting the card and see what it says. The last lines will tell you what the system did when you inserted the card. Will help in troubleshooting....

Nullsand
03-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Um, no it is mini-PCI (built-in) which I neglected to mention. There are no messages in DMESG regarding the wireless card after inital booting. If I "modprobe airo", I get:

airo: Probing for PCI adapters
airo: Finished probing for PCI adapters

from DMESG. If I "modprobe orinooco", I get:

orinonco.c 0.13e (David Gibson <snipping email information>)

No error messages in either case. LSMOD shows:

airo 42744 0 (unused)

and something similar for the orinoco.

I believe that the driver is loading OK, but that I am lacking an alias reference to it. I am wondering if there is a way to add this post boot, either manually each time or via a script.

Thanks for the help!