PDA

View Full Version : Configuring wireless network with data from Kismet

berto
03-01-2004, 01:20 AM
After a long battle, I seem to have gotten kismet to work. It is capturing packets right now from some unencrypted network. The purpose of this little endeavor of mine was to see if this wireless NIC functions properly, but I don't have a wireless network of my own to test it with. How to I configure my machine to use the network with the information the kismet provides?

I'm running knoppix 3.3 (no hard drive) with what lspci tells me is a wavelan prism2.5 or something to that effect. (It's a linksys wmp11, an older version.) It looks like knoppix loaded the orinoco drivers, and iwconfig shows the interface to be eth0.

Keep in mind that today has been my first adventure into wireless. Any help is appreciated.

Stephen
03-01-2004, 02:03 AM
After a long battle, I seem to have gotten kismet to work. It is capturing packets right now from some unencrypted network. The purpose of this little endeavor of mine was to see if this wireless NIC functions properly, but I don't have a wireless network of my own to test it with. How to I configure my machine to use the network with the information the kismet provides?

I'm running knoppix 3.3 (no hard drive) with what lspci tells me is a wavelan prism2.5 or something to that effect. (It's a linksys wmp11, an older version.) It looks like knoppix loaded the orinoco drivers, and iwconfig shows the interface to be eth0.

Keep in mind that today has been my first adventure into wireless. Any help is appreciated.

If you want to crack someones network this is not the place to be asking for advice. To test your wireless card you should find someone with a network that will allow you to connect. And depending on the network you try to connect too you could find the police knocking on your door. Any further questions of this nature will be deleted and any responses telling you how to do it will be. I had thought of deleting this one but I figured a reply to your query would be better.