PDA

View Full Version : 2 HDD's

BlkBear
03-01-2004, 05:50 AM
im a 2min noobie and i got dumb question
i got a 2 hard drives both ntfs. the 1st is almost full about 30gigs and a little 4gig HDD empty. this 1 i want it for knoppix is this a good idea tell me what u think? i want to know what the best partition for linux and how would go about installing it to the different hdd? or would knoppix-install do it all for me (i read that was new)?

P.S. i got WinXP Home as u could have guessed a avg. intel celeron 2.66Ghz a Nvidia mx420.Can ne1 tell me if any of this will give me a problem?
and thank you for any help

unamiccia
03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
any way u du i sure ok coz not matter cnt unnerstand mebbe try again?

bamarob
03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
The 4 GB drive should work nicely as a home for knoppix. The install script includes tools for creating Linux partitions on the drive.

BR

towjamb
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
You should be fine using the 4GB drive for Knoppix. Run the live CD, open a terminal window, type in su if you need root access, and then type in knoppix-installer and enter. The installer has all the tools you need to partitian and format the drive -- it should show as hdb1. You'll need two partitians, 1st sized about 1.5x the system RAM and labelled "Linux swap" and 2nd the rest of the drive activated and labelled "Linux" mounting /. Format the latter with ext3 or Reiser file systems as they offer journaling -- read, no more check disks or defragmenting needed.

If Knoppix runs fine from the CD-ROM, chances are it will run okay from the hard disk ... with a few tweaks.

BTW, you should never run XP with less than 15% free disk space; it can't defrag properly and eventually bogs down. And once the swap file becomes fragmented ... well, don't get me started.

BlkBear
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
thank u all
I got about 26% left im good for now i got to clean up my unused crap. well thanks again for all your help especialy how to get in the root coz it dont like me lol