PDA

View Full Version : HD Install & Partition Magic

FuzzieBio
03-01-2004, 07:21 PM
For the HD install, I used PartitionMagic to create the ext2 and swap partitions on my HD. No problem at all. It runs from windows, as well as having a cmd line version, and it is extremely simple to use. I used it to make sure I didnt kill my windows partitions. It resizes, creates, deletes, and formats partitions rather quickly. I probably would not have been able to install Knoppix or I would have really screwed something had I not used this program. Give it a try.

icoczar
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
did you install the bootloader. to the mbr or to the knopppix partition?

FuzzieBio
03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Nope. I let windows handle the OS loading part. It is explained in a Dual-Boot thread in the HD install section.

icoczar
03-02-2004, 03:39 AM
bootitng does everthing PM does at about half the price. You can even try before you buy.

FuzzieBio
03-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways :)
Nother thing I like about Linux: no more trudging through warez sites!

fingers99
03-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways

Hmmm. It seems that M$ and software piracy march hand in hand......

FuzzieBio
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways

Hmmm. It seems that M$ and software piracy march hand in hand......Hehe, you got that right! Well, with me anyways...

I don't get it. Prices for good M$ software (Photoshop, etc.) are WAY too high ($1k!!). I would never pay for it anyways, so what loss is it to the company if I steal it? Im just using their software, not stealing something physical that can actually have a price attached to it. I mean...
Um, is this turning into a rant? :roll:

FuzzieBio
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had made the partitions on the same HD as WinXP, but I made an extended partition and then a logical partition inside of that, so that it did not screw with the MBR. PM does this automatically (creating an extended, and then a logical in the extended).