PDA

View Full Version : Konfiguring an Ethernet LAN

Deepjones
02-19-2003, 10:00 AM
I wonder that in our days it's still necessary to configure an IP-address.

I think that a PC should be able to find a valuable IP-address by its own just with a NetBrowser. If there is no DHCP server the browser should be able to find an address by pinging.

Am I wrong? Or is there a software included in Knoppix that can autoconfig a samba client?

Net-access with one click is a cool vision! Or ist it already real?

mabhatter
02-22-2003, 04:48 AM
First, get your windows networking information. There is a dos command ipconfig /all to get all the network goodies. copy/print it off.

In Knoppix find the Network config under the Knoppix menu item. If you don't have DHCP, check no and enter the stuff you wrote down as required. you should be connected!

Note: When I installed, we have a small windows network with just the windows networking. without a central DNS server, you will need to change some host names to ip addresses Untill you get Samba up.

There's a great FAQ on the Knoppix.net page (search samba) to set it up. I followed the instructions and it worked great to see my Koppix install on the windows network. The other way didn't want for me?

The thing to save you lots of hassle is the Save Config option! Use it, as it will save you having to redo this stuff every time you start! Then you can concentrate on figuring out a new feature each time you restart. For added convinence, keep several disks--in case you find out you hosed one!