PDA

View Full Version : Internet config

Xpiral
03-02-2004, 12:44 PM
I don’t know how to configure my internet connection because I have to connect to our server and than though our provider server so I have 2 gateways(i connect to a static DSP and through a Lan because i have to connect to our lunux server first because we share a connection). Then how can I configure my dns settings?
I also have another question. Why what helps me if I create my /home directory on my hdd drive?

Stephen
03-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I don’t know how to configure my internet connection because I have to connect to our server and than though our provider server so I have 2 gateways(i connect to a static DSP and through a Lan because i have to connect to our lunux server first because we share a connection). Then how can I configure my dns settings?
I also have another question. Why what helps me if I create my /home directory on my hdd drive?

You need to put the nameserver line(s) in the /etc/resolv.conf in the machine you are connecting from. These would be the same as the ones you already using in your server it should be as simple as duplicating the settings. For your own /home well if you every have a crash and your / partition gets trashed then you loose all your user data with a separate home this problem does not exist, you just have to worry about losing the whole drive. Now that I am reading the post again you do not have two gateways only the single gateway and that is your server that you connect through it is this address that you should use for your gateway IP on the machine you are connecting from.

Xpiral
03-02-2004, 08:58 PM
No I am certain that I have two gateways and two dns ip-s because I am was a windows user (still am) but I want to change that, and in the internet connection I have 2 gateways and in the enable dns tab I have also 2 ip-s and I have something like am address like: iasi.astral.ro and a host name. Where should I put this in Linux, because there are so few options?

Stephen
03-03-2004, 07:53 AM
No I am certain that I have two gateways and two dns ip-s because I am was a windows user (still am) but I want to change that, and in the internet connection I have 2 gateways and in the enable dns tab I have also 2 ip-s and I have something like am address like: iasi.astral.ro and a host name. Where should I put this in Linux, because there are so few options?

I do not see how you can have two gateways that would mean that you have two entirely separate network connections coming in and at least three network cards in the machine at the start of your network and doing some kind of load balancing between the two connections even that does not matter to you because that machine takes care of that part of it and handles the connections made to the third card and passes them on to the proper place. So do you have such a setup? If not then this is what you have to do for your machine where if I read your first post correctly the cable from it's network card runs to another machine where the connection is then passed on to the internet. In the machine where it connects too the card the cable enters it is this IP that you have to use for the Gateway setting. Now if there is a hub/switch that it passes through on the way this is not important but if there is a router that has an IP and is not simply passing the connection on then it is this IP that you must use. Now on the machine you want to be connecting up the IP Address must be on the same IP range as the gateway IP eg. If the gateway is 192.168.0.254 then the IP of the machine connecting to it must be in the range 192.168.0.1 to 253. An example of what the /etc/network/interfaces file where these settings are kept can look like.

>$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254

Now the DNS or nameservers go into the /etc/resolv.conf that I mentioned in my first post and it would look like this.

>$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

The search line for your domain should be optional (you will have to edit manually to get it in the file) and you only need one nameserver a second is not necessary but nice to have for a backup in case the first becomes unavailable. You can either edit these files as root and put in the proper settings for your IP settings you are using or you can as root again in a console window type in and then enter key netcardconfig to have a graphic dialog wizard to allow you to enter the settings one at a time and if you want the two nameservers then separate them by a ; and a space between in the window that you enter the settings into in the only line available. If you edit by hand then you need to type in and enter key again /etc/init.d/networking restart to restart the network with the new settings and get a connection.

Xpiral
03-06-2004, 06:08 PM
You are right i have only one gateway.But my problem is:I changed the settings in the resolv.conf but it wouldn't let me save the file? Why? And can i log in as root in knoppix?

Stephen
03-06-2004, 09:02 PM
You are right i have only one gateway.But my problem is:I changed the settings in the resolv.conf but it wouldn't let me save the file? Why? And can i log in as root in knoppix?

If you are running from the CD then you open a console window(clam shell icon on the taskbar) and run netcardconfig that will give you the opportunity to choose either DHCP or static settings if from the HD then in the console window use su then type in the root password and enter then you are root and can make any changes you want. When editing from the CD you can use sudo in front of a command to have root privileges while doing the editing eg. sudo gvim /etc/network/interfaces then you can save the file after the changes and not get the read only error.

Xpiral
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I opened the resov.conf with kwrite because with gvim i couldn't modify the text. After putting the second nameserver in, my internet worked like a charm, and still doe's. :lol: