PDA

View Full Version : root usage

Alexxx
03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd like to understand what is the use of the "knoppix" user.
With a distribution like this, why not run everything as root?

Cuddles
03-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Alexxx,

I will try to explain, in my own newbieness...

Knoppix is like WindowsNT but also like ShareWare.

ShareWare is the "try it before you buy it", but Knoppix you don't have to buy it if you like it.
WindowsNT is the a server/user based Operating System, in which you have specific accounts (users), with specific rights and priviledges, to do what they need to do, without priviledges that could get your system, or server, crashed or multilated by an accidental erasure of a file, or change in some "system" setting.

Knoppix comes in a CD, can be run as a CD, but is fully functional OS that "can be" installed completely onto your computer systems hard drive, thus making it a complete Operating System, and all of its functions, there to.

Knoppix is a server/account/user based operating system, you can delagate permissions to sepecific users, restrict access to certain users, etc...

Knoppix User is the "template" for a "normal" user, one who has access to certain things, can do most of the things they need to do, but can not do SYSTEM setting changes, add programs that could impact the complete system, etc...

Root, on the other hand, is the common name, for the UNIX World, is GOD - anything and everything can be done as Root - you could trash the complete system as Root, obliterate a single "needed" file that the system depends on running with, or, in the case of running on either an intranet or internet, others can "remotely" connect to your system and gain GOD priviledges to your system, IF YOU WERE running as Root.

Most everything can be done as a "normal" user, and the stuff that requires Root access, can be done without having to even log in as Root, if you open and run a window as a sudu Root. This form of Knoppix makes it far more secure, and less apt to being infiltrated by "nasties" who are out in the world.

With having user accounts, everyone has access to their own files, and even "shared" files, if they are set that way, but they can't go into someone elses files and muck with them, they may be able to copy them, look at them, but not write to them. This allows the "administrator" of the system, responsibilities for setting up specific accounts for specific needs, and to protect the system from prying, or dissaster, hits, but allowing everyone to ability to do what they want.

Why does knoppix use Knoppix and Root - maybe its because it wants to stand out from the "lame" Windows "security" problems, or the fact that Windows' stability is lacking seriously, or maybe Knoppix wants to be seen as a server, that can be run as a single user operating system as well? It could also be, that Knoppix, was designed to accomodate anyone, and anything that they may need from it?

I, for one, created my own account after installing it onto my hard drive, and "now" rarely even use Root - just my own account. But, I do have other family members that use the computer, and having them have their own "space", free from mine, and not able to mess up my business files and such, is very comforting. Add into this, that if I don't want the "kids" to go on the internet, I can set their priviledges to the internet to disable, and they can't get themselves into trouble.

Knoppix is taking the server side of security here - the less rights a person has, the less rights someone hacking into that system can have by "inheriting" those rights. If you are GOD on your system, and someone hacks into your system, they can "become" GOD as well. That is NOT good. True, if you are using the CD, all of this is not really that important, considering that all a hacker could do to you is make you reboot, and thus, nothing is lost, but, when you consider this same CD can be installed as a fully functioning operating system, its nice that its their.

Hope this helps,
Cuddles

Mustang64
03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Good answer Cuddles - that cleared up several questions for me too :-)