PDA

View Full Version : A knoppix challenege

Daedaleus
03-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Alright guys, please don't yell at me....

This is a challenge my instructor gave to me and as I couldn't get it to work on my own I'm trying to find any way with which to pull this off.

The thing is as an experiment he wanted me to see if I could get corel word perfect onto knoppix and get it to run, now I can get wine up and going but everytime I try to install word perfect I get to where it's going to start installing and it pops up saying the location doesn't exist and wine exits. The machine in questiong is dual booting xp and knoppix 3.3. I've even tried installing it in xp and then copying it out into knoppix and still no luck. Any other options? Or do I need to just chalk this one up as a loss?

My teacher knows nothing of linux so he challenged me with this just to see if it would accept other applications. His thinking is that an operating system is only as good as the applications it can run and I have to agree with 'em. I appreciate any answers or comments at all...

fingers99
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
An earlier version of Word Perfect was ported for Linux and was OK, nothing wonderful, until Star Office and OOo became mature. IMHO, they've now overtaken Word Perfect (which isn't an especially great application).

If you can find a 16bit (that is, intended for Windows 3.1) version of WP or Word Pro, you'll almost certainly find that they run fine under Wine. I'm pretty sure that the 32bit versions will run fine in Codeweavers' CrossOver version of Wine.

His thinking is that an operating system is only as good as the applications it can run and I have to agree with 'em.

The man is clearly an idiot! :wink:

sakiZ
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Tell your prof he'll have to "settle" for Abiword. It reads Wordperfect files just fine.

Abiword is powerful. You can even create pdf docs by saving as a Postscript file then converting with Ghostview.

sakiZ

Harry Kuhman
06-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Given that WordPerfect is (or at least has been) available for Linux, I would consider this issue resolved. I even have a copy of CorelLinux with WordPerfect 8 on my bookshelf. So how can this be a problem??? Surely the professor can't insist that one makes the Windows version work with Linux when the company already has produced a Linux version. By that logic Windows is even worse since it doesn't run the Linux version of WordPerfect at all.

sakiZ
06-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I am curious about Wordperfect 8 for Linux. (That is what I use on the Windows side of my dual boot setup.)

Did you install it in Knoppix? (Assuming you did the full HD install.) In otherwords, is it Debian compatible?

sakiZ

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Did you install it in Knoppix? (Assuming you did the full HD install.)
Installing Knoppix to hard disk is against my belief system. And I have no pressing reason to want to use Word Prefect over the tools in Knoppix; so no, I have not put any effort into this. But if I had to make WP work with Knoppix as a class assignment, I would certainly start with a verion intended for Linux rather than one intended for a different OS.