PDA

View Full Version : Remastering Forum ?!

MichielioZ
02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I know there's a "Customize KNOPPIX"-forum, but nowbody seems to post in there how they made their modifications...
Most people just say : Hey, just made a new remaster containing "this-and-that"...
In order to give people a hand remastering for themselves (besides the usefull HOWTO) it could be a good idea to make a forum (inside the KNOPPIX.net forum offcourse) about how people remastered.
This way, somebody with just a phone-connection wouldn't have to download a Gnome 2.2 or KDE3.1 modification of KNOPPIX, but could just make it himself .
Good idea ? Or not ? :roll:

Alextreme
02-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Well, it wouldn't be such a bad idea, it's just that too many forums wouldn't be really handy, and i don't really think lots of people would post on it (as customize knoppix is already used for most modification posts)

Every person that remastered knoppix used the said howto, and imho people can easily use the wiki or make their own site if they want to explain how they did it, instead of having it somewhere in a forumpost. Adding to the howto might bring more useful information. But again, this is my humble opinion, i dont know if more people would find it useful :)

But i must agree with your underlying problem: having a dialup isn't ideal when people are posting iso's everywhere. Havn't got a solution for that, sorry :?

god
02-20-2003, 03:13 AM
my solution to your dail up? make friends with someone with a fast connection and get the CD mailed to you...

MichielioZ
02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Sorry people, for the misunderstanding :oops:
I used the "phone-user" as a fictive argument to my point...
Just to put to rest any people feeling sorry for me somehow ;) :
I'm on a T3 fiberglass connection...
(University rocks ;))
Anyway : the point made it across I hope...
Maybe it wasn't a really good idea, but I still think the only way for people to learn remastering (besides just trying..) is : learning from other people!
It could be just enough if people just stated how they did it in the customizing forum though...
Thnx for your input people.