PDA

View Full Version : mounting hd and running image from hd

Roberts
03-03-2004, 12:22 AM
I know how to use the fromhd and tohd boot codes. However, I've noticed that if I use either one (which does make knoppix run must faster), I can't use the partition (say /dev/hda1 for example). "mount /mnt/hda1" reports it is already in use and mount doesn't list it. Manually mounting (i.e. "mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1") doesn't work either. Same for just going to /mnt/hda1. It's there, but empty (and the hd isn't empty).

I'm missing something. Does anyone know what?

fingers99
03-03-2004, 04:43 AM
I'm missing something too: what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Roberts
03-03-2004, 05:45 AM
What I'm trying to do is run the knoppix image from a harddrive (for the extra speed), yet still be able to use the harddrive/partition. So far, I can either run from CD, then mount the harddrive and use it (fat32 BTW), or I run knoppix from the harddrive, but can't read or write to that same harddrive (or partition). I'd like to do both at the same time. Note that I am not trying to do a hard drive install. Just use the fromhd and tohd boot codes.

fingers99
03-03-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure it can be done like that. If a partition is in use, it can't be mounted, AIUI. And if it can't be mounted, it can't be read.

Another solution would be to create a swap partition on that Windows (?) drive, or create a partition to be used (so that the other partitions can be).