PDA

View Full Version : Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!

MavetLaAravim
03-03-2004, 05:52 AM
I have downloaded KNOPPIX and ran it on my friend's PC. I must say that it is a VERY nice program. Unfortunatly I cannot run the program on my PC. I have tried to boot it just by pressing enter in at the boot menu. It says that it loads 2 files and then the screen goes blank. However if I boot with phlak vga=normal I pass the screen that boots the 2 files and I get a screen that says "Unpacking Linux... OK, Openning Karnel." and that's where it hangs. I have tried a lot of different command combinations but they don't work (including screen=XxX). Can someone PLEASE help me. Thank You.

I'm running a DELL labtop 5150
3.06 Ghz
30 gig HD
512 RAM
64 meg video card

windos_no_thanks
03-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Many others have reported similar issues with that model.
Try typing

knoppix nosmp

at the boot prompt. If that doesn't help try upgrading the BIOS first
and then boot again with knoppix nosmp
If it still doesn't work you may need to use another kernel, in that case read this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154

Mustang64
03-03-2004, 11:07 PM
I had a problem with my ZIP drive doing about the same thing to me. "Fixed" it by inserting a disk in the drive... Go figure :?

Try inserting the appropriate media in all your drives, tape, zip, floppy, external HD, etc.

Couldn't hurt! :-)

MavetLaAravim
03-04-2004, 04:58 AM
Mustang64, THANKS A LOT!! I've downloaded the image, burned it and finally it booted!!!. thx a lot dude.

I have only 2 questions:

1) I can't copy or transfer files on my HD after I boot Knoppix. (Maybe because I don't have enough privleges (rw-rw-rw) even though I changed the previlages in the options)

2) How do I get wireless network on Knoppix. What do I need?

thx a lot