PDA

View Full Version : MBR flaw

punk000
03-03-2004, 06:27 AM
hey hey everyone!!!:)

im at a lan party, and so i could play most of the games i partitioned off a 20gb sector, and installed xp pro (belive me, im disgusted as well).... well the problem lies in the fact that MS win overwrote my master boot record, and now i can boot only to windows.... i tired to use the ms boot loader.... i did so by doing this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Linux="linux-Debian" /fastdetect

the last line is improvised by me... i assumed it was in partition one (which it is... but this didnt work, the boot loader then spit a "dll not found" error at me....... i was hoping microshitty would be nice enough to at least provide unbiased software, but i have not been able to figure it out.

my second try was to boot to a rescue disk (linux, damn small linux to be more precise (a knoppix spinoff, nicely done)).... but when i tried to run lilo, it said "please edit lilo.conf", which i then proceded to do... i assumed the problem was that the file was on the cd, so i removed it and re-wrote it into the ram...... again no luck.....

as you can see, i like to try things on my own before i call for help, and i would greatly apreciate if one of you could give me a hand in my problem:)..... thanks in advance, im just hoping i can get out of the MS problem before i leave the lan party tomorow.

punk000
03-03-2004, 10:39 PM
well, it must be that the master boot record was corrupted.... what im hoping is that someone can tell me how to replace it.... i tried running lilo, but my lilo.conf is empty and its not doing any good....... i formatted the hard drive and did a knoppix install... but still i got nothing..... im really hoping you guys can give me a hand, im super desperate now.... ive been up for like 15 hours trying to figure it out, and reading texts.....

i cant even edit the file, it sais i have insuficeint permissions to write to hdc1..... this really sucks, im stuck at what to do.