PDA

View Full Version : standby

punk000
02-19-2003, 01:38 PM
does anyone know how to prevent the system from entereing standby mode?...... when it does i lose the entire filesystem, kernel, daemons, everyhing... and its a apin to have to confire my dsl, email, gaim, and all of this stuff....

oh, and also, i see to be able to only cron one thing at a time, and only as root (i tried to cron some comands to prevent the computer from sleeping, but no luck)..... is there a fix to this?

Dave_Bechtel
02-20-2003, 03:58 AM
--What make/model of computer are you using; is it a laptop, etc...

--You may have to go into the BIOS to disable power-saving stuff.

does anyone know how to prevent the system from entereing standby mode?...... when it does i lose the entire filesystem, kernel, daemons, everyhing... and its a apin to have to confire my dsl, email, gaim, and all of this stuff....

oh, and also, i see to be able to only cron one thing at a time, and only as root (i tried to cron some comands to prevent the computer from sleeping, but no luck)..... is there a fix to this?

punk000
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
i doubt that that is it, because when my family rauns windows they can leave it for days........ but i have to play with it at least every 30 mins

aay
02-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Dave is correct. You need to turn off power management. If you don't want to do it in your bios, then use the 'noapm' option when you boot.

E.G. 'knoppix noapm'

punk000
02-20-2003, 06:32 PM
but, if it was a bios problem.... wudnt it have effected the windsows os also?

aay
02-20-2003, 09:02 PM

No. The problem is not in the bios. The problem lies in how linux is interacting with the power management features which are ENABLED in the bios. Apparently windows doesn't have this problem. This could be for a variety of reasons. Most likely it's due to the fact that your bios and/or hardware makers disclose information about how their products work to Microsoft but not to others.

By "pulling the plug" on power management in the bios you will solve your linux problem but will loose the ability to use these features in Windows. If you want to keep power management enabled in Windows, but fix your linux problem then you need to disable the power management features by passing on the "noapm" option to the kernel at bootup.

If this doesn't work, then post back here with details.

Dave_Bechtel
02-20-2003, 09:04 PM
--AFAIK, Windoze has Power Management settings that can override the BIOS.

punk000
02-20-2003, 09:07 PM
thank you, i will try that... but the "cheat codes" can u have more than one at a time.. cuz i cant start the compu w\o the screen=MY_RES one..... if you can, please include the syntax

aay
02-21-2003, 12:08 AM
thank you, i will try that... but the "cheat codes" can u have more than one at a time.. cuz i cant start the compu w\o the screen=MY_RES one..... if you can, please include the syntax

This should not be a problem. I often pile on several options. Just do this: 'knoppix noapm xxx xxx xxx' whre xxx = you other options.

punk000
02-21-2003, 12:10 AM
than you... i did it, i have no jsut to see if it will standby... but i have to wait till bed time.. cuz i cant get off unix (in love)

punk000
02-23-2003, 06:16 AM
nope, it dont work

aay
02-23-2003, 07:13 AM
Boy that royally sucks. Sorry about that. Did you use both the noapic and noapm options?

cascadefx
02-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Turn it off in BIOS.

It is not a problem in Windows because Windows isn't running in memory only and can write state/suspend information to the hard drive and/or override the power settings. That is why it isn't affected.

Knoppix runs in memory only. Suspend operations can have an effect on this and that is probably why you lose everything.

--Peace

punk000
02-25-2003, 09:38 PM
ill try it when i get home

BlckJck
03-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Thank you, I had the same problem on an IBM NetVista, the noapm option did nothing for me as the BIOS drove the settings. Disableing it in BIOS was the fix for me.

:D :D :D