PDA

View Full Version : JRE2 or bust, mozilla-xpi question

nishtya
03-04-2004, 02:47 AM
HD install of knoppix 2-16-04 debian style. I reinstalled mozilla non-deb but for my kernel, went very well, everything peachie! but... a favorite site of mine is requesting the installation of a plugin, java2 they call it. Click on the netscape link, grant permission, download the bugger - an hour later after dling that lot on a dilaup :( I get "permission denied" from netscape dialog. Any ideas? It is a long slow download for me, it doesn't save it to harddive that I can find it to try and run as root, only thing I can think of why I am getting the error. Do I have to go onto the internet as root to get this installed? Help appreciated, this is it ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2.2/unix/linux22/plugins/jre131_02.xpi

RockMumbles
03-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Do I have to go onto the internet as root to get this installed?

Yes!

you might want to just use:

wget -c ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2.2/unix/linux22/plugins/jre131_02.xpi

or an ftp client to get the file.

then install the file as root, once it is downloaded.

~rock

nishtya
03-05-2004, 02:13 AM
thank you Rock! I am now wgetting, if that doesn't work, uh doh - I never thought of save as rather than install since I had no problem doing other installs xpi and was getting sooooooo aggravated with it being such a long dl to begin with.
I do have an ftp client also which I am damn proud of myself installing, gftp (please don't tell me it was already on knoppix when I spent two nights getting that baby in there :roll: - just don't tell me)
The ftp client for uploading to my website was one of three requisites I am working on to be totally independent of my windoze. I am still trying to get proficient at gimp.....(I want my photoshop, damnit) and last but not least, suggestions much appreciated....I need a newsreader...mozilla though my choice of browser in nix and doze, I don't use it for a newreader, frankly sux with my provider at least. Anything like agent out there for linux? Still searching for something with a gui that will keep the news connection alive and send the pw and authentication as needed. Mozilla refuses and I can't keep signing in every 3 minutes, literally. I do not care about binaries, in fact, don't want them. I just want to read my newsies.