PDA

View Full Version : The `GtkButton' error

fla
03-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Sometimes when I try to install a program from a tarball archive I receive the following error:

/usr/share/themes/Geramik/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:25: error: unexpected identifier `GtkButton', expected character `}'

Could anyone advise me what to do? Why this error occurs and could it be fixed?
I think the first time it occured was when I installed mplayer. It runs now but without a panel.

I use Knoppix3.3 from 11.19.2003

And one more bug... I tried to reach the "Bugs" menu from the knoppix.net page, but I got "404 Page not found" error, so I'm describing the bug here...
I was trying to mv a directory from a fat32 partition to my desktop. I don't remember the error, but the result was that the directory was deleted from the fat32 partition and not only, that it was not copied to my desktop, but everything from my dekstop was deleted :} Only the trash, the floppy icon and one directory survived.

Thank you

Cuddles
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Fla,

Don't think I can help you on the second issue, never heard, or had, or seen that, before. So, I won't babble 'bout something I don't know...

BUT, your little error from GTK-2, I have seen that, I have it as well - possibly even the exact version you have, Knoppix that is. I get it when I try and run Frozen-Bubble from a prompt, from Audacity when I run it from a prompt, etc... I don't have a clue why it is "yelling", because it doesn't "appear" to discourage the programs I am running, that give this error. I just chocked it down as a "gremlin" in the OS, considering it hasn't ever caused a program not to run, but just a few "hello, I just wanted to spit something on your screen, because I can" kinda thing...

Hmmmmm, maybe someone else has a more "indepth" resolve, or resolution, I just let it yack, as long as it doesn't stop the program, or crash the system, or delete my hard drive, etc...

Just my thoughts,
Cuddles

Markus
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Copied from another post:

Change your $HOME/.gtkrc to replace the line:
include "/usr/share/themes/Geramik/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
with:
include "/usr/share/themes/Geramik/gtk/gtkrc"

Cuddles
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Dumb question here Markus, but, what if I don't have a .gtkrc file in my home folder?

Because I don't...
Cuddles

Cuddles
03-04-2004, 03:59 PM
DOH:!:

Got caught using the Konsole Prompt, my mistake, you need to see them using a Konqueror Window. [just when I thought I was going to be so clever and show that I use the shell now :(]

Markus
03-04-2004, 04:00 PM
removed unnecessary post

Markus
03-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Do f.ex. "ls -la" in the shell prompt to see .files

Cuddles
03-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh My GOD :!:

That is sooooo kewl - a new option for ls - one that I never knew about either - amazing what modern science will come up with these days [giggle]

bonecrusher
03-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I was trying to mv a directory from a fat32 partition to my desktop. I don't remember the error, but the result was that the directory was deleted from the fat32 partition and not only, that it was not copied to my desktop, but everything from my dekstop was deleted :} Only the trash, the floppy icon and one directory survived.

Thank you

I have had similiar problems when I copy a file from FAT32. It does copy it, but usually the whole Knoppix Desktop disappears. That is the Desktop files and so forth are still there, but the desktop you look at is completely bare, and you cannot add anything else by dragging files from Konquerer or anything else for that matter. Windows sstill open but only from panel.
Anyone had similiar issues? And/or fixes?

-Brady