PDA

View Full Version : Server install on HDD

spaceuser
03-04-2004, 08:28 AM
I'd like to install Knoppix 3.3 as a textbased (no graphical UI like X-Win and KDE) server with mainly samba and apache only to start with. Later I will add firewall and I-net dialup or a xDSL connection.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do it. I have tried to use Debian 3.0r2 but the supplied kernel, 2.4.18 couldn't discover my Promise Ultra ATA controller and my 120GB HD, but Knoppix can.

TIA

RockMumbles
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Knoppix will only install as the whole package, gui's, apps, and everything.

So you will either have to install all of it and then pare it down to what is necessary or use another distro.

Q. It appears that your promise card is an ata100/133 card, or is it a raid card?

I have two older promise cards in use, an ata33 and ata66 in Libranet boxes that work fine. If you want to stick with a debian based distro, you might check out the (free) Libranet 2.7 cd, it's got newer packages (kernel, etc.) than debian 3.0r2 and has a real easy install that would allow a server install.

HTH

~rock

spaceuser
03-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes it's a Ultra ATA 133 card, and the chipset isn't supplied by Debian, yet anyway. But I'll giv the Libranet a try.... thanks for the tip.