PDA

View Full Version : Static IPs?

A. Jorge Garcia
03-05-2004, 03:18 AM
OK, I have a file server setup in my class room to run a little intranet server so my students can login to it remotely using kdm and they can save and print their work. I'm running all this over a pre-existing DHCP server at school. All this is working great using knoppix-installer as debian on all the PCs in the classroom! Thanx Klauss!

Anyway, here's my problem. I'd like to have access to this server from home without messing things up for my students. If I setup a static IP on this server so I can ssh from home, will my students still be able to login remotely using X -query newIP :1 or even X broadcast :1 as they do now using knoppix 2 from a liveCD or vt2 from a hdinstall?

TIA,
AJG

firebyrd10
03-05-2004, 03:58 AM
you should. How do you have it set up? (that isn't part of my answer but rather I'm just interested.) SSH shouldn't make any difference to your students at all

A. Jorge Garcia
03-05-2004, 02:51 PM
OK, here's my setup. You could skim the whole post to see what a saga I went thru and then how it finally worked or just skip the end where I list the steps that worked in XMas colors as it was around that time that I finally got it working.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5668

Enjoy!

Regards,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm concerned that what happned to me when I tried LTSP dosen't happen again. I tried setting up terminal servers in my classroom and nobody could find the server as the DHCP server conflicted with the LTSP server....

If I now switch my server from the DHCP server to a static ip I can access from home, I hope my students' workstations can still log into it!

TIA,