PDA

View Full Version : Saving files to HD from live CD

millennia
03-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Ok I'm having troulbe saving files to my hard drive.
Everything is auto mounted so I can read all files from
my windows partion (which is all I have), but I cant save anything. I know it can be done because I did it with PHLAK. I tried to save on my USB drive and that also doesnt work. I tried to open up the applications as "root" also.
That doesnt work.
I'm trying to save text files.
In Kword it will say

"Could not save /mnt/sda1/director/test.kwd"
"Reason couldnt' open the file for saving"

In OpenOffice I type
test
then choose File ->Save As
then I choose the directory to save at
then I type test as the file name
and I use .doc format
I get the error:
"Error saving the document Untitled1:
/mnt/hda1/test.doc
does not exist.

Please Help

fingers99
03-05-2004, 07:16 AM
To save stuff you need write access to the drives: it looks like you only have read access.

IIRC, there's a tool to allow write access somewhere on the menu. Don't try this if you have ntfs (default with Win NT, 2K, XP) or you'll trash the filesystem big style!

millennia
03-05-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry what does IIRC mean? I still dont know all the terms.

Stephen
03-05-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry what does IIRC mean? I still dont know all the terms.

Tip of the Day.

HappyTux:/home/stephen$ dict IIRC
3 definitions found

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (19 Sep 2003) [foldoc]:

IIRC

<chat> If I recall/remember correctly.

(1996-11-28)

From Jargon File (4.4.4, 14 Aug 2003) [jargon]:

IIRC //

Common abbreviation for "If I Recall Correctly".

From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms (December 2003) [vera]:

IIRC
If I Remember/Recall Correctly (Usenet, IRC, slang)

Which you can use running from the CD and if the file system on the windows drive is ntfs then you cannot save a file to it unless you have a version that has the captive-ntfs driver.

indyjonz44
03-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm a knoppix newb having the same problem. I created a new persistant home on a usd drive, config is saved on no prob but text file are not retained on a reboot. Thanks for any help

millennia
03-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Which you can use running from the CD and if the file system on the windows drive is ntfs then you cannot save a file to it unless you have a version that has the captive-ntfs driver.

I can save things with PHLAK to my hard drive (I'm using XP Pro) so does that means that PHLAX has captive-ntfs driver and Knoppix/Gnoppix doesnt?

How about saving things to my FLASH USB Thumb drive? Can I do that?

millennia
03-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Also look what I found

Knoppix comes with extensive hardware detection, supports writing persistent data on USB memory and can be used for data recovery as well as for Linux classes in schools or at LUG gatherings....You might ask, what is the power in doing real work that you can't save? Between the `live CD', and the `install it to disk' usage methods there is a third way. Using a USB pocket drive, or other removable media you can hit-and-run anyone's machine, doing real work all while using your in-hand defaults, but more importantly storing your new work. These tripod benefits is why one individual wouldn't let another recycle peacefully. But---I understand. ---Source http://www.nylug.org/meetings/index.shtml?20040100

So how can I save my documents on my jump drive?