PDA

View Full Version : how to configure knoppix after installation on HD?

pepesz
03-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Hello everybody :)

I installed knoppix 3.3 on my HD using knoppix-installer script.
Now when I'm starting knoppix it boots exactly as from CD:

starts xsession with kde.

I dont like knoppix to start xsession (and kde).
I would prefer to login to the system with username and password, not to run system with default knoppix unprotected account.

Please HELP.......

Cuddles
03-06-2004, 05:43 PM
pepesz,

Considering I have Knoppix v3.3 installed on my hard drive as well, I think I can help you out here. We should have (roughly) the same menus and settings :D

Interesting though, when I installed Knoppix, and boot, I always get a LOGIN screen, but, that could be from some settings that were made during the installation, thats all...

Here is what we can do:
(1) Go to your KMenu and click on it (its the icon on the lower left of the screen, looks like a yellow sun with a "K" on it)

(2) Go up to "Settings" in the menu, and select "Control Center"

(3) You should get a screen/window with the title "Control Center" on it, on the left part of the screen are options, to the right "KDE Control Center"

(4) On the left part of that screen, click the PLUS SIGN "+" next to "System Administration", more entries should "pop out", and list down from this

(5) Still working on the left part of that screen, under the "System Administration" text, you should find an entry named "Login Manager" - click it

(6) Looking over to the right part of that screen now - it should have filled in with some tabs across the top, and "Appearance" should be the active tab.

(7) Not sure if you are Administrator or not, you could be the "default" Knoppix user, in which case, you won't have priviledges to changing any settings, unless you set yourself up here as the Administrator rights/priviledges... So,

(7b) Getting Administrator rights/priviledges -=- if you don't have them -=- If you have a button in the lower part of the right part of the screen you are in, and it says "Administrator Mode" - CLICK IT - it should pop up a window asking for your password - you will need to enter the ROOT, or SuperUser, password you made when you installed Knoppix to your hard drive. If all goes well, you should not get any more windows pop up stating invalid password, or something along the lines of not having rights to be administrator, and be returned back to the screen we are using. You should also have your right part of the window we are in IN RED, and the "Administrator Mode" button should have changed to "Defaults".

(8) This is where I think we will find your culprit of login issues - Along the tabs across the top of the right part of the screen you should find one labeled "Convenience" - click that tab.

(9) Below the tab "Convenience" you are interested in the section labeled "Automatic Login" - it probably has a "X" in the box next to "Enable auto-login" and a user in the box next to the "User" label - click the "X" next to "Enable auto-login" to remove the "X" from that.

(10) The "Apply" button at the bottom of the right part of our screen should be available at this time, click that button.

(11) Close, and exit from Control Center - I think this will give you the changes you are looking for.

(12) TESTING - reboot the system - you should get a login screen now - where you can choose the user you want to login with.

Hope this helps,
Cuddles

Markus
03-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Did you select knoppix-style install which behaves just like the cd?

To get a debian installed to your hd you need to select debian-style in the installer.