PDA

View Full Version : Install Problem

NoviceW
03-05-2004, 04:15 PM
I have beeen trying to install Knoppix on my Hard drive. I allocated about 3.8 GB partition for Knoppix and 580MB for swap. There was no problem with the installation but when i rebooted the computer it didn't allow me to login.

After reboot it shows the login screen. When I give my login name and the pswd, the screen blinks once and then show me the same window. However when i tried to login using command prompt I could access to all the directories. Obviously it is not that comfortable to work on non-graphic mode. I just can't imagine what went wrong.

Please help me to figureout the problem.

Thank you in advance.

NoviceW

Koopa Troopa
03-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Are you using a foreign keyboard ? and if so does your password contain letters that would otherwise replaced (like q and a for azerty keyboard), try typing your password in the login box to check (knoppix install doesn't always seem to remember which keyboard you set, and shell and x keyboards can be set seperatly)

NoviceW
03-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi Koopa Troopa,

Idon't think that's the problem. If that's the case it wouldn't allow me to login with Non Graphical mode too. As I said I could access to all the directories if i log in with non graphical mode. I don't have any charactors like y and z in my pswd either.

NoviceW

Stephen
03-05-2004, 09:43 PM
I have beeen trying to install Knoppix on my Hard drive. I allocated about 3.8 GB partition for Knoppix and 580MB for swap. There was no problem with the installation but when i rebooted the computer it didn't allow me to login.

After reboot it shows the login screen. When I give my login name and the pswd, the screen blinks once and then show me the same window. However when i tried to login using command prompt I could access to all the directories. Obviously it is not that comfortable to work on non-graphic mode. I just can't imagine what went wrong.

Please help me to figureout the problem.

Thank you in advance.

NoviceW

Have you tried selecting KDE3 from the list when you login instead of default for the session type? And check in the file /home/user_name/.wmrc and make sure it contains the line "kde3".

shadinio
03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
did u try loging in as "root" ?

patiscool
03-22-2004, 06:11 AM
i'm having this same problem and i tried logging in as root and it doesn't work. i'm not sure about the keys or anything.

jam123
03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
I've had this problem on every machine I've used Knoppix CD to boot, run the script knx-hdinstall, and then boot up from the HD.

The trap I keep falling into [on new machines] is that the kdm's login screen
has "default" or "previous" selected by default. Since I've never logged in with that username, it doesn't have a valid previous session. I will type a good username and correct password, click Go, Xwindows will blink and I am returned to the login screen like I've mistyped something.

Since I've been building up several machines, it is easy to forget that you are on new machine and for each new account, "default" X Windows session is really selecting nothing.

Selecting a "kde3" explicidly is a habit I need to pickup.

:wink: