PDA

View Full Version : Autoconfig/sndconfig cant find compatible soundcard

Schopenhauer101
03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi!

I got a laptop with a ordinary ESS 1879 card, a soundblaster-compatible card that runs just fine in redhat. I do not want to support Redhat inc. anymore because of, *you know why*($$$$profitprofitprofit20goto10) and therefore would like to migrate myself and my old laptop to debianheaven with a little hdinstall-help from knoppix.

In redhat there is a nice tool that let one CHOOSE which soundcard-configuration to use if it cant autodetect, which it by the way fails to do. Well, anyway i then manually just have to choose "soundblaster pro" and then sit back and enjoy the music. The tool is called "sndconfig" and it has been ported to knoppix, but with the tiny little difference that knoppixversion just do not work at all. Anyone that ever had the problem im mentioning now has read about that in numerous post at this forum. "segmentation fault" is all that happens.
Why is the tool still on the knoppix distro one might wonder? At least i do. OK, to the point, this is my question;

Is there a way i ever can fix this, or am i and everyone else with the ESS-card eternally condamned to redhat-purgatory?

If anyone could please help me with this it would be great, a hint, a guess, anything would be very, very helpfull.

Take care
Björn.

xp1ode
03-09-2004, 11:23 PM
I would like to know this as well since i would also benefit from the replys's as i myself have a compaq armada 3500 and the sound card is a ESS1869 which on Mandrake i got it to work but only for a few seconds by choosing the soundblaster module/driver. I then installed Fedora Core 1 and with that my sound card did not work. I like knoppix and would like to stick with it, but i need my sound card to work. So if anyone has a solution or hint like schopenhauer101 mentioned, please do reply....

thanks in advance

himkp
05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
i got the same problem with my soundblaster 16 ess card

summary:
knoppix is sick in this part now

hope knoppix can do better on later release.