PDA

View Full Version : MY CD IS A 700MB CD BUT THE ISO IMAGE 716MB! WHAT DO I DO?

ctroamer1
03-05-2004, 07:58 PM
I download the image th other day and it is 16MB to large for the disk. Are there higher capacity CDs out there?

Markus
03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
If you mean it's 716602 KB, it equals 699,9 MB when divided by 1024.

If you've got a remastered larger iso you can still overburn it on a 700 MB cd.
I think my record using plextor cd's is 729 MB.

aay
03-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Just try burning it. It will fit. We've all been doing it for years. Only people with Nero have had problems burning these cds. Make sure you burn it as an iso image and not as a regular data cd.

ashyx
03-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Just try burning it. It will fit. We've all been doing it for years. Only people with Nero have had problems burning these cds. Make sure you burn it as an iso image and not as a regular data cd.

I don't know anybody who has had problems overburning with NERO. Infact it's one of a few that actually can do it.

So where did you get that information?!

Markus
03-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Probably here:
http://www.nero.com/en/631998579711357.html

Nero has had a bug that prevents overburning and by what people have said even burning 700 MB complaining about insufficient space.

Prons
03-14-2004, 07:12 PM
I burnt it in nero, no problems here, I thought the extra kb was just dummy space.

Hunkah
03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Me neither, Nero works fine.

ctroamer1
03-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Actually, I did use Nero and it told me it would not fit. I'll try another burning software to see if it works. Thanks guys!

Hunkah
03-19-2004, 03:00 AM
Are you burning a file or an image?

If you try to burn it as a file, it won't fit. You need to choose "Disk image or saved project" Then direct the wizard to the .iso file.

If you try to put the .iso file on the disk as a file it won't fit. You need to copy the contents of the file (the disk image within the .iso) and burn that.

windos_no_thanks
03-19-2004, 09:11 AM
If you try to put the .iso file on the disk as a file it won't fit. You need to copy the contents of the file (the disk image within the .iso) and burn that.
Yikes, that sounds very confusing. One doesn't have to (and shouldn't) dig around inside the iso. All (half-decent) burner software should have an option to burn an iso directly but most of them do it in an akward way. They usually try to be very helpful in creating a new filesystem (although they don't say that, they call it a "project" or something equally vague) which is NOT what you want to do.

Markus
03-19-2004, 11:53 AM
No need to change burning software, you can just patch Nero as you obviously have one with the bug.
You'll find a link to a patch in my previous post or via the faq on downloading and burning in the Docs section on this page.
The faq also contains how to burn an iso with Nero.

Hunkah
03-22-2004, 12:24 PM
I agree what i said was confusing, but it was true.

All he has to do is choose the "Disk image or saved project" and direct the wizard to the *.iso file.

Then Nero will burn the image (contained within the *.iso file).

Think of an .iso file as a zipped up package of an entire CD. It takes all the contents of a CD and make a huge file out of it. The .iso tends to be bigger than the actual disk at times, I think because it is probably because it adds configuration information as well. But who knows!

Any clearer?

ovidiusoft
03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
I download the image th other day and it is 16MB to large for the disk. Are there higher capacity CDs out there?

Yes, there are 90 minutes (800MB) and 99 minutes cd's (880MB). Most of the cd-rw units will not detect the real capacity and you will have to overburn the cd's, and the others already told you.

Good luck!

windos_no_thanks
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree what i said was confusing, but it was true.

All he has to do is choose the "Disk image or saved project" and direct the wizard to the *.iso file.

Then Nero will burn the image (contained within the *.iso file).

Think of an .iso file as a zipped up package of an entire CD. It takes all the contents of a CD and make a huge file out of it. The .iso tends to be bigger than the actual disk at times, I think because it is probably because it adds configuration information as well. But who knows!

Any clearer?

Yes a bit, you are probably right about what to do to get Nero to burn from an iso (never used it myself so I wouldn't know). Your description of the iso file is partly wrong though. It does not contain any more (or less) infromation than what will be written to the CD, it is exactly the same size as the finished disk will be, and the contents are also in the same format. IMO the best way to think of the iso file is a CD without the physical disk, once you attach it to a blank disk using the burner you get the finished CD. You can easily show that this is the case if you have a HD installed knoppix and more than 700MB free on the HD, for instance like this:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=foobar

once that has finished you can compare the foobar file with the iso file you used to create the CD (with diff for instance) and you will see that they are identical, assuming that the burning process was done correctly earlier.

L. Duke
05-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I had the same problem with Nero 6 Express. It won't let me burn the iso on a 700MB CD.

I downloaded the freeware CDBurnerXP Pro and it worked fine.

IsaacKuo
05-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Here's one way to look at it--an .iso is simply an image of what's on the disc. It's exactly the same size as the disc. However, what happens if you try to write it to the disc as a file?

In that case, the burner software tries to put the file knoppix_image_file.iso on the disc, and ALSO some extra file system information which says "There is one file on this disc and it's name is knoppix_image_file.ico and it's located in sectors XX to YY."

This file system information is relatively small, but it still requires some extra space. Since the .iso image is exactly the same size as the disc, even this small amount of extra space puts it over the top. It won't fit!

Cuddles
05-14-2004, 07:26 PM
I explained this once before, so, here goes...

Anyone who has ever "duplicated" two floppies and only had one floppy drive device "knows" what an image of a disk is ...

Or, made more than one copy of a floppy disk, same situation...

An "image" is made from the original source, this "image" is probably placed on the hard drive, as a temporary file, and that "image" is then used to create the "target" disks. Since on a single floppy drive system, you can't do a disk-to-disk duplication, something must take the place of one of the drives. So, when you only have one floppy drive, it becomes a disk-to-image-to-disk, instead of a disk-to-disk. What the people did, was, to save the "image" file, and that is what you are using to create your "duplicate" CDROM.

Most, at least the ones I know of, CD Burning Software, allows for "image" burning, so that you can make one "copy" of your CDROM as the source, and then use that "image" to make as many "duplicate" CDROM's as you want from it.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles