PDA

View Full Version : I am guessing this is bad....

FuzzieBio
03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, I did an HD install last week using a disk that was downloaded from about 10 sources (I have read that that is BAD :P). It seems to work fine, but there are certain things like how the control panel cant access the kernel at all that make me believe that it is screwed up in some way.

Question is, when I get a CD from one source (I will make sure to do this when I switch to Gentoo this summer), can I just install it over my current copy, or should I reformat and start over?

Thanks

EmDee
03-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Just insert the cd in your cdrom drive, boot from there and enter knoppix testcd at the boot prompt; this will tell you whether the cd was correctly downloaded and burned! BTW, the KDE control panel looks for the kernel source in /usr/src/linux and since it's not installed by default it gives you an error; nothing to worry about!

FuzzieBio
03-09-2004, 04:10 AM
Just insert the cd in your cdrom drive, boot from there and enter knoppix testcd at the boot prompt; this will tell you whether the cd was correctly downloaded and burned! BTW, the KDE control panel looks for the kernel source in /usr/src/linux and since it's not installed by default it gives you an error; nothing to worry about!Should have known :P
Thanks for the help.