PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 'ct, captive ntfs, and konqueror

Pixnoob
03-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Hi

I got Captive NTFS working off the knoppix 3.4 CD... from the root console shell, or sudo commands in a normal console.

I can read / write to my NTFS XP partition via the shell and do things via command line.

I can't get the gui konqueror file manager to mount as captive-ntfs type, or give me write access to that partition. (Comes up with the regular can't write to NTFS error when I try to set the icon to read / write, or that it's not mounted when I've mounted via the root shell)

Any ideas on how to get captive ntfs working with the gui file manager FROM the live CD? (Not a HD install)

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Pixnoob
03-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Update:

Here's a list of what I do to get things working... and what I can and can't do.

Boot Knoppix CD
Run Captive-NTFS Aquire Utility
From Desktop Unmount the hda1 icon (If mounted)
From Root shell or Regular Console using sudo... mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

From root shell or Regular Console using sudo I can:
read / write the XP partition using command lines like mkdir, etc.
run Midnight Commander and read / write to the XP partition

What I can't do is run konqueror from the command line (As root or super user), as someone suggested in IRC.

Example: From Root Shell, I type konqueror
I get errors that say stuff is already running.... then a blank gui konqueror window with a "Protocol not supported" error. I then try to access /mnt/hda1 by typing that in the address field, and get a another "Protocol not supported" error.

I assume that means that konqueror won't work with captive-ntfs no matter what.... but I'm hoping that's not the case, and it has more to do with the "already running errors".

Any suggestions?

Pixnoob
03-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Update:

Ok... I got captive-ntfs working in konqueror via 2 different ways....

At Boot... I use the single cheatcode... which defaults as root to login... then startx.... after installing captive-ntfs drivers and mounting... can run konqueror via the console shell, with no errors. Knoqueror then reads / writes to the ntfs partition.

The other way... is boot normal, install captive-ntfs drivers and mount, open console and type sudo su, and type then konqueror, and it comes up with no errors, and can read / write ntfs.

The problem now is... both methods you can only do that via typing konqueror into the cosnole... and leaving console window open. If you try to save the file:/mnt/hda1 to the desktop as an icon... it no longer gives write access.

Obviously this is some security issue with knoppix's screwed up default of read-only to the drive, and / or mounting via creating new hard disk doesn't utilize captive-ntfs.

So, if I can figure out a way to get captive-ntfs working in konqueror, then saved as an icon to the desktop... then save configs to hard drive... it should boot with ntfs working all the time with the myconf=scan cheatcode.

Stephen
03-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Update:

Obviously this is some security issue with knoppix's screwed up default of read-only to the drive, and / or mounting via creating new hard disk doesn't utilize captive-ntfs.

There is nothing screwed up with security by default and protection of your data.

Durand Hicks
03-07-2004, 06:32 PM
To get captive-ntfs drive icons on your desktop it's easy. Here's what I did:
1) Right click the desktop, create new link to hard drive, name it "captive-hdx" then choose the captive-ntfs drive and do not make it read only.
2) Ok your way out and you'll have an icon on your desktop, just click it and it's ready for reading and writing as normal.

Note: I've only been able to use it under the root account only. Can't seem to get any other users to work with the captive-ntfs driver even though they are in the captive group, it errors out to a can't set guid type error.

Hope this helps.

Pixnoob
03-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Note: I've only been able to use it under the root account only. Can't seem to get any other users to work with the captive-ntfs driver even though they are in the captive group, it errors out to a can't set guid type error.

Hope this helps.

Well I appreciate the reply... but that's about as far as I've gotten... working with a root account, or working on the fly with a "sudo su" command (But stops working as soon as you close that terminal window). LOL

What would really rock is, if / when they master knoppix 3.4 for actual download (Instead of the magazine version), if they can make the standard hda1 icon recognize that you want to mount as "captive-ntfs" and allow you to set the icon to read / write, instead of giving you the "can't write to ntfs" error... so it can be done without going to root status.

To me... the main beauty of this distro is that it's automated to the point where people can try out linux and learn. But if certain things aren't "easy enough" or "automated enough", Linux will never be mainstream.

Personally, I don't mind that I have to go through some "work arounds" to get it doing what I want... but it would difficult for me to convince non-technical people that Linux is a good desktop move, if they can't do things transparently, like that can with Winblows.